February 28th

On 28th February 1803, Burnett’s Daily Shipping List reported that no ships arrived in Hull, and nothing sailed, for the 2ndday in a row. A heavy gale on Saturday and Sunday 26th& 27thresulted in a number of ships losing their anchors, running ashore and collisions. 8 ships were named as affected.

On 28th February 1823, the conditions of employment of the Matron of the workhouse at Nafferton recorded she was paid 5 guineas a year, plus 5 chaldrons of coals and half a load of whins; her tasks included mending clothes and laundry. There was also a Workhouse Master. (Nafferton was included in Driffield poor law union in 1836).

On 28th February 1826, Joseph Robinson Pease, Hull banker, reported in his diary that confidence in banks was being restored, that the credit of Liddell & Pease Bank stood high, and he believed that the Hull banks ‘never stood better’ after the recent national economic crisis.

pease

February 10th

On 10th February 1644, Sir William Constable of Flamborough led Parliamentary troops from Hull in routing the Royalists at Kilham.

On 10th February 1801, Sir Samuel Standidge, aged 75, died at Thorngumbald. He was born at Bridlington, and at age 19 was taken prisoner by privateers and taken to Rhode Island. Later in life he traded goods to Rhode Island and bought lands in Holderness, building New York Farm, Preston, to mark his financial success in New York.  He is credited with restarting the Hull whaling industry, acting as master of his own whaler.  Sheriff of Hull, Mayor, and warden of Hull Trinity House 5 times. His memorial is  in St Mary’s Lowgate, Hull.

On 10th February 1866, 6 days after running aground on the Isle of Juist, Germany, 15 people were rescued from the rigging of the ‘Excelsior’ of Hull, where they survived without food and water. Mrs Newton was considered a hero for her support of her fellow survivors.

On 10th February 1871, at least 70 mariners lost their lives in Bridlington Bay in the Great Gale, including 6 lifeboatmen. 23 vessels were lost. There is a mass grave in the Bridlington Priory churchyard, and an annual Fishermen’s Service was held for 100 years.

On 10th February 1893, Revd Francis Orpen Morris died aged 82 at Nunburnholme. Vicar at Nafferton 1844-1854, rector of Nunburnholme to 1893. Irish-born naturalist and author of children’s books, and books on natural history and architecture. Anti-feminist, anti-hunting and opposed to Darwinism. (b25.3.1810)

On 10th February 1898, Commander Cave, of Humber guard ship Galatea, rescued the crew of SS Marbella in the River Humber, near Humber Dock, Hull. The Marbella had problems with its steering gear, and almost collided with 2 ships before hitting the Galatea. The only passenger had to swim to safety, and the Marbella’s cargo of 41 horses were all lost. The Galatea was itself later stranded on the Hebbles sandbank, but refloated later.

Saml Standidge memorial

January 6th

On 6th January every Plough Monday, in the15th and 16th centuries, Hull Trinity House  Guild presented the Miracle play of Noah in the streets of Hull.

On 6th January 1600, George Wolstenholme, Esq (59), Thomas Wilson, Esq (48), Richard Thomas (60), James Norrison (39), Robert Noke (43), Francis Mitchell (46), and Henry Hutchinson (29), all of Hull, murdered Captain Thomas Fletcher, of the ship Nancy, of Hull, mate Guy Foster, and William Forest and George Fowler, seamen of same ship. All 7 were convicted at York on Monday 2ndApril 1600 of murder and smuggling, and their bodies given to surgeons of York and Hull to be dissected and anatomized.

On 6th January 1764, flooding was so bad that the Holderness turnpike was unusable  between Hull and Bilton until 1stApril. One man and a horse were drowned attempting the route. The building of Holderness Drain was begun that year.

On 6th January 1839, the Nafferton house of Mr Thompson, a miller, was destroyed in ‘the Great Storm’ and his 2 sons, his daughter and a servant girl were all killed. Joseph Robinson Pease reported salt spray from the South-West on windows at Kilnwick Percy (i.e. it had come from the nearest coast in that direction, South Wales). photo shows Kilnwick Percy from the air

On 6th January 1840, William Dunn pleaded guilty at Beverley Sessions Court to a burglary. He was convicted and sentenced to transportation for life.

kilnwick percy.JPG

 

December 4th

On 4th December 1688, Capt Lionel Copley, vice-governor of Hull, in support of William of Orange, arrested Lord Langdale, governor of Hull, and Catholic officers supporting James II. Mobs attacked, ransacked and demolished Catholic houses and the ‘mass-house’, and the events of Town-Taking Day were celebrated into 20thC. It is believed that this is the event which was plotted in the parlour of the Olde White Harte.

On 4th December 1841, Joseph Davey, 28, became the new master of the Spurn lifeboat, and master of the tavern, replacing Robert Richardson, the first master, who had served in post for 31 years. Davey did not last so long – he was dismissed in February 1842 when the lifeboat failed to respond to a vessel run aground on the Stony Binks. Fortunately, the crew of the Elizabeth managed to refloat her, and there were no casualties.

On 4th December 1857, William Watson of Seaton Ross, maker of maps and sundials,  died. (b 17.5.1784) photo shows Dial Cottage, Seaton Ross.

On 4th December 1894, Robert Butterfield was elected first Chair of the Nafferton Parish Council; earlier in the year, parish councils had been introduced by the Local Government Act, replacing a number of parish and manor courts dealing with minor local issues. This process was happening across the country. One of the PC’s first acts in Nafferton was to clean the beck, and appoint a beck-watcher to look after the 2 swans donated by Mr Butterfield.

seaton ross.JPG copy

November 6th

whalebone arch Pat.JPG

On 6th November 1584, Rowlande Wilkingson was awarded a pension of 10shillings a year by Hull town on account of his age and poverty, and the good service he had done the town.

On 6th November 1822, Hull Literary and Philosophical Society was formed to promote self education; one of its first actions was to create a museum in the Assembly Rooms, Kingston Square.  This is mentioned in Herman Melville’s ‘Moby Dick’, as it contained whale skeletons, as well as an Eskimo kayak and natural history materials. Photo shows whale jawbones at Patrington

On 6th November 1829, Robert Sharp of South Cave reported in his diary on the usual celebration of 5thNovember, with bonfires, bellringing and hare feasts in the pubs.

On 6th November 1850, Samuel Davis was saved from drowning in Hull Harbour by John Ellerthorpe, named ‘The Hero of the Humber’ for his many rescues, and awarded the Royal Humane Society’s Silver Medal.

On 6th November 1914, Herbert St Quintin presided over the last meeting of the Court Leet and Court Baron, as lord of the manor of Nafferton. Changes in the law left them with no effective jurisdiction, and later meetings were attended mainly for the Rent Dinners provided for his tenants.

October 30th

de Ros arms

On 30th October 1472, an inquisition post mortem was called to verify the date of birth of Eleanor de Roos, of Breighton, daughter of Sir Robert Roos, in relation to inherited lands. George Layburn confirmed that she was born 55 years earlier, on 30thSeptember, a date he remembered because on the day of her birth one John Forder, fisherman, at Bryghton, in the water of Derwent, netted a big fish, of great length, with a head like a dog’s. 

On 30th October 1833, John Brown, 35, died in a field near Withernwick, during a prize fight against William Hackney, oyster vendor of Hull.  Brown, 18 lbs lighter than Hackney and 11 years older, fell after 1 hour and 36 minutes, in the 65thround, before 4p.m., and died at 10p.m. Hackney, his second Thomas Wilkinson, and Brown’s second, William Thompson, were found guilty at the inquest of wilful murder. A court had earlier found Thompson not guilty, and Hackney and Wilkinson guilty of manslaughter, and both were sentenced to 4 month’s hard labour at Beverley House of Correction.

On 30th October 2017, the Trustees of the Nafferton Feoffees Charities Trust submitted their annual report on a charity which originated with a bequest to the local poor from Thomas Robinson in 1698, and continued since that time, with additional bequests as recent as 1950.

 

September 30th

On 30th September 1540, King Henry VIII’s commissioners dissolved the priory at Swine.

On 30th September 1541, King Henry VIII took part in (i.e. strongly influenced the outcome of) the Hull mayoral election, and presented the new mayor with his sword.

On 3oth September 1581, Peter Crewe was appointed one of the 2 Hull chamberlains, a week after his fellow aldermen fined him for using faulty weights.

On 30th September 1643, Thomas Raikes, due to stand down after his year as Hull Mayor, was encouraged to stand for a second term, in view of his vigilance on behalf of the town during the events of the Civil War, and in particular the 2nd siege of Hull, which was still ongoing. He was re-elected.

On 30th September 1686, Elizabeth Boyse obtained a licence from Hull town council to sell wine and keep a tavern at her home (described as a mansion house), at the sign of the King’s Head in High Street.

On 30th September 1904, the first of 52 cases of diphtheria were reported in Nafferton; the epidemic killed 7 people, mainly children at the National School.  The school was closed, but infections continued as many local families lived in overcrowded conditions. photo shows modern Nafferton

 

Nafferton