On 7th February 1518, Hull weaver John Watson claimed the sanctuary of St John’s church, Beverley, for debt.
On 7th February 1519, John Gilson, a gentleman of Garton claimed the sanctuary of St John’s church, Beverley, for debt. It is not known whether this was Garton on the Wolds or Garton in Holderness.
On 7th February 1651, the Mayor of Hull wrote to the Sheriff Thomas Raikes concerning the partitioning of Holy Trinity church to allow soldiers to be billeted there, whilst services could continue in part of the church.
On 7th February 1799, Lutheran Pastor Triebner came to Hull to preach to the Germans employed in the two Sugar Houses in Drypool.
On 14th January 1180, Hawisa, Lord of Holderness, of the county of Aumale in Normandy, with lands in several English counties, the barony of Copeland and the honour of Skipton, and one of the richest women in the country, was married by Henry II to William de Mandeville, Earl of Essex.
On 14th January 1642, Sir John Hotham arrived in Hull to take up the post of Governor, and was refused entry at Beverley Gate by the Mayor, Thomas Raikes. A messenger was sent to Parliament, who ordered the Mayor to accept Hotham and his forces, and to resign his post, or face a charge of high treason. Hotham was admitted.
On 30th September 1540, King Henry VIII’s commissioners dissolved the priory at Swine.
On 30th September 1541, King Henry VIII took part in (i.e. strongly influenced the outcome of) the Hull mayoral election, and presented the new mayor with his sword.
On 3oth September 1581, Peter Crewe was appointed one of the 2 Hull chamberlains, a week after his fellow aldermen fined him for using faulty weights.
On 30th September 1643, Thomas Raikes, due to stand down after his year as Hull Mayor, was encouraged to stand for a second term, in view of his vigilance on behalf of the town during the events of the Civil War, and in particular the 2nd siege of Hull, which was still ongoing. He was re-elected.
On 30th September 1686, Elizabeth Boyse obtained a licence from Hull town council to sell wine and keep a tavern at her home (described as a mansion house), at the sign of the King’s Head in High Street.
On 30th September 1904, the first of 52 cases of diphtheria were reported in Nafferton; the epidemic killed 7 people, mainly children at the National School. The school was closed, but infections continued as many local families lived in overcrowded conditions. photo shows modern Nafferton