On 24th December 1264, Robert de Ros of Roos and Helmsley was created Baron de Ros, probably the first English Barony created, and the title holder is styled the Premier Baron of England.
On 24th December 1510, Welwick labourer James Martynson claimed sanctuary at the church of St John for the murder of John Lewes of Welwickthorpe, labourer.
On 24th December 1592, the Council in the North ordered that no merchants carry goods or merchandise up the river or trade with other parts of the north except through the port of Hull.
On 24th December 1911, James Adamson, 34, deckhand, was lost overboard from Hull trawler Eldorado, 250 miles ENE of Spurn.
On 6th November 1584, Rowlande Wilkingson was awarded a pension of 10shillings a year by Hull town on account of his age and poverty, and the good service he had done the town.
On 6th November 1822, Hull Literary and Philosophical Society was formed to promote self education; one of its first actions was to create a museum in the Assembly Rooms, Kingston Square. This is mentioned in Herman Melville’s ‘Moby Dick’, as it contained whale skeletons, as well as an Eskimo kayak and natural history materials. Photo shows whale jawbones at Patrington
On 6th November 1829, Robert Sharp of South Cave reported in his diary on the usual celebration of 5thNovember, with bonfires, bellringing and hare feasts in the pubs.
On 6th November 1850, Samuel Davis was saved from drowning in Hull Harbour by John Ellerthorpe, named ‘The Hero of the Humber’ for his many rescues, and awarded the Royal Humane Society’s Silver Medal.
On 6th November 1914, Herbert St Quintin presided over the last meeting of the Court Leet and Court Baron, as lord of the manor of Nafferton. Changes in the law left them with no effective jurisdiction, and later meetings were attended mainly for the Rent Dinners provided for his tenants.