On 3rd February 1727, John Marshall of Preston left in his will the income from land rents, to be used to buy 6 white loaves, given to the poor in Preston every Sunday. Marshall Avenue in the village is named for him.
On 3rd February 1832, James Acland was escorted by a crowd of many thousands of supporters (he said 20,000) on returning to Hull after being prosecuted for libel by Hull Corporation (he had accused them of corruption). The town won the case, but were awarded damages of a farthing. Acland, however, was unable to pay his legal costs.
On 3rd February 1854, Robert Bowser, treasurer Hull Zoological Gardens, and ship’s surgeon William Gedney introduced to Queen Victoria 3 Inuit people; they had come to Hull the previous year with Capt Bowlby. Tookoolito had learned English from whalers, and was later to have a long career as an interpreter. She, her husband Ipirvik and a boy Akulukjuk, returned to the Arctic after 2 years.
On 2nd December 1614, a woman bone-setter from South Dalton set the leg of John the gardener at Londesborough House after he had broken it in a fall from a horse. The Earl of Cumberland paid the costs of his servants’ medical treatment.
On 2nd December 1847, Memiadluk and Uckaluk, of Cumberland Sound, Greenland, gave the first of several exhibitions of their traditional clothing, kayak and hunting equipment on their British trip to raise money and awareness of the plight of their people. Greenlanders were being encouraged to use modern hunting equipment, but supplies were irregular with no permanent British settlement. Photo shows their statues at the side of the River Hull.
On 2nd December 1985, Philip Larkin, poet and librarian, died in hospital in Cottingham of oesophageal cancer at the age of 63. Librarian, University of Hull 1955-85. CBE, Companion of Honour., Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry. (born 9.8.1922 Coventry)
On 6th November 1584, Rowlande Wilkingson was awarded a pension of 10shillings a year by Hull town on account of his age and poverty, and the good service he had done the town.
On 6th November 1822, Hull Literary and Philosophical Society was formed to promote self education; one of its first actions was to create a museum in the Assembly Rooms, Kingston Square. This is mentioned in Herman Melville’s ‘Moby Dick’, as it contained whale skeletons, as well as an Eskimo kayak and natural history materials. Photo shows whale jawbones at Patrington
On 6th November 1829, Robert Sharp of South Cave reported in his diary on the usual celebration of 5thNovember, with bonfires, bellringing and hare feasts in the pubs.
On 6th November 1850, Samuel Davis was saved from drowning in Hull Harbour by John Ellerthorpe, named ‘The Hero of the Humber’ for his many rescues, and awarded the Royal Humane Society’s Silver Medal.
On 6th November 1914, Herbert St Quintin presided over the last meeting of the Court Leet and Court Baron, as lord of the manor of Nafferton. Changes in the law left them with no effective jurisdiction, and later meetings were attended mainly for the Rent Dinners provided for his tenants.
On 22nd July 1612 ( or possibly on 12.7) Hull-born navigator and explorer James Hall was employed by the Danish government to survey for minerals, and came upon a group of Greenland Inuit who recognised him from a previous voyage. He had been involved in kidnapping 4 people, who had never returned home. Hall was attacked and died that day of a spear wound in the side. William Baffin was master of the sister ship Patience on the same expedition. Hall was succeeded as master of the Heartsease by Andrew Barker, also of Hull.
On 22nd July 1643, Lord Ferdinando Fairfax was invited by the people of Hull to take up the post of Governor.
On 22nd July 1869, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, officially opened the new Albert Dock, Hull.
On 22nd July 1909, Sydney Buxton, Postmaster General, officially opened the new Post Office building in Lowgate, Hull. Despite precautions against action by suffragettes, Charlotte Marsh got close enough to speak to him, and was arrested. She was Yorkshire organiser for the Women’s Social & Political Union and had earlier been arrested at Riverside Quay.
On 22nd July 2004, Florence ‘Flo’ Bilton died aged 82. Goalkeeper, set up a women’s football team at Reckitt’s in 1963, and from was influential in setting up the Women’s Football Association in 1969. Set up, trained and supported new women’s teams. Acted as membership secretary and chaperone for the national women’s team. Flo Bilton Trophy is contested by girls’ football teams in ER. (b c1921) photo shows 2017 cream plaque presentation in Hull Guildhall by (left) Karen Walker, 86 England caps.