On 20th March 1735, London merchant Timothy Woolfe died aged 35, and was buried in Bridlington Priory church; he left the interest on £500 to the poor of Bridlington and area, not exceeding 5 miles distance.
On 20th March 1822, an earthquake at night shook beds, moved furniture and rang bells in Seaton Ross, Foggathorpe and Holme on Spalding Moor. It was also felt in Bielby, Everingham, Allerthorpe and Melbourne.
On 20th March 1905, Hull PC Thomas Nettleton died attempting to stop a runaway horse and van, which ran over him.
On 20th March 1947, Fred Stephenson, 36, rode the Kiplingcotes Derby course through 4-foot snowdrifts to ensure the continuation of the race since 1519. The clerk of the course, Harry Ruston, read the rules. It took 90 minutes to ride the course (it normally takes about 10 minutes).
On 20th March 1986, Deirdre Blakeston failed to win the Kiplingcotes Derby when she stopped to give assistance to Lorraine Bell, who was unconscious after her horse collapsed on the course. Horse and rider both recovered and Deirdre eventually finished the race.
On 4th December 1688, Capt Lionel Copley, vice-governor of Hull, in support of William of Orange, arrested Lord Langdale, governor of Hull, and Catholic officers supporting James II. Mobs attacked, ransacked and demolished Catholic houses and the ‘mass-house’, and the events of Town-Taking Day were celebrated into 20thC. It is believed that this is the event which was plotted in the parlour of the Olde White Harte.
On 4th December 1841, Joseph Davey, 28, became the new master of the Spurn lifeboat, and master of the tavern, replacing Robert Richardson, the first master, who had served in post for 31 years. Davey did not last so long – he was dismissed in February 1842 when the lifeboat failed to respond to a vessel run aground on the Stony Binks. Fortunately, the crew of the Elizabeth managed to refloat her, and there were no casualties.
On 4th December 1857, William Watson of Seaton Ross, maker of maps and sundials, died. (b 17.5.1784) photo shows Dial Cottage, Seaton Ross.
On 4th December 1894, Robert Butterfield was elected first Chair of the Nafferton Parish Council; earlier in the year, parish councils had been introduced by the Local Government Act, replacing a number of parish and manor courts dealing with minor local issues. This process was happening across the country. One of the PC’s first acts in Nafferton was to clean the beck, and appoint a beck-watcher to look after the 2 swans donated by Mr Butterfield.