December 21st

wm constable

On 21st December 1633, the Duke of Cumberland’s staff bought supplies of oysters (600 at 6d per 100) for Christmas at Londesborough House on his behalf when he was in York on business.

On 21st December 1721, William Constable was born at Burton Constable. He inherited the Constable estate, and is chiefly remembered for restoration work on the Hall, and as an amateur scientist and collector of art and artefacts; his Cabinet of Curiosities may be the most complete in any stately home. He became grossly overweight, suffering from gout, probable hypochondria and addiction to medication containing opiates. (d 18.5.1791) see photo with his sister Winifred

On 21st December 1824, Richard Arthur Worsop of Howden Hall recorded in his diary that he supported a charity which had been continued by the owners of the Hall since the 17th Century; he gave 6d each to 40 poor people of the parish, and a bushel each of wheat and coals to a further 10. He recorded several other charitable gifts in his diary, including a sheep to the workhouse.

On 21st December 1838, Hull banker Joseph Robinson Pease established, and was elected President of, Hull Labourers’ Friendly Society, having established a society in Hessle which had built a cottage there.  There were already dozens of friendly societies in Hull by this time, and this new group may have been more of a building society than a self help group. Pease was certainly no democrat (he described democracy as a ‘pestilent curse’).

On 21st December 1857, Henry Smith Bright, manager, Hull Cotton and Flax Mills, was found guilty at York Assizes of forging deeds of transfers of shares, and sentenced to 6 months’ penal servitude. His actions appear to have precipitated the closure of the Hull Flax and Cotton Mills and the bankruptcy of the partners in the Harrison Watson & Co bank on 24.9.1857.

On 21st December 1957, Edward Benn, 43, bosun, of Hull Rd, Hedon, died as result of accident aboard Hull trawler Cape Palliser off Iceland.

November 17th

On 17th November 1407, Sir John Constable died at Halsham, and indicated in his will a wish to make amends to anyone he had swindled, and to return to their families goods and chattels belonging to his villeins, which he had kept after their death, ‘for the convenience of their sons’.

On 17th November 1868, novelist Anthony Trollope stood as a Liberal candidate and came 4thout of 4 candidates in the election; he referred to Beverley (where ‘political cleanliness was odious to the citizens’) as Percycross in his 1871 novel ‘Ralph the Heir’.

On 17th November 1907, Bokane, Kuarke, Mongonga, Mafutiminga, Matuka and Amuriape, pygmies from the Ituri Forest, Congo River Basin, sailed home from Hull after 30 months in England. 3,000 people paid to see them at Olympia and halls around the country. They also visited the House of Commons. They stayed with Colonel James Harrison at Brandesburton Hall and hunted in the parkland. Human rights activists had campaigned to stop the visit.

Brandesburton pygmies

September 20th

On 20th September 1188, St John’s church at Beverley and most of the town were damaged by fire. St John’s remains were not found until 1197.

On 20th September 1535, John Colynson and Thomas Savage, yeomen of Holme on Spalding Moor were declared outlaws after spending more than a year in sanctuary in Ripon. They sought sanctuary in 1534, confessing to stealing a horse. Savage confessed to the murder of Amery Burdett, but Colynson did not confess, though a coroner’s jury found them both responsible, and indicted others as accessories.

On 20th September 1769, Felice de Giardini, famous violinist, played at the start of a 3-day festival to celebrate the installation of the new organ at Beverley Minster, the first festival of its type in the north of England. New music by Handel was performed, including the recently completed Messiah; tickets were 2s6d and 5s.

On 20th September 1779, Mr Foster, Bridlington quay master, reported that John Paul Jones’ American squadron of ships had attacked a large fleet of colliers and ran them into the harbour.

On 20th September 1813, Thomas Nutbrown was born in Eastrington.  Probably the same person who, aged 14 in 1828, applied to the Howden poor relief officers for some new clothes, and was granted a second hand coat. He died aged 72 in Leeds Township, Quebec, Canada, on 25 Sept 1885.

On 20th September 1883, Rev Edward Cragg Haynes died aged 62 in Swinefleet, after serving there for 32 years. Born in Barbados, classed as ’free coloured’, had links to the Clapham Sect. Set up a Grammar School in Swinefleet attended among others by Joseph Rank. (christened 3.6.1821)

On 20th September 1902, Stevie Smith was born Florence Margaret Smith in Hull. Poet and novelist, most famous for ‘Not waving but drowning’. D 7.3.1971 see photo

On 20th September 1903, Annie Marshall, 16, domestic servant, from Lissett, was raped, shot twice, suffocated with grass and thrown in the river at Scampston by Charles William Ashton, 19, of Cottingham, farmhand.  Ashton knew her well. He was found guilty of murder and hanged at Hull Prison on 11thDecember the same year.

On 20th September 1954, the Selby to Driffield rail line was closed for regular passenger traffic, a service of one regular non stop train each way plus occasional summer excursions ran until June 1965. The line was abandoned after the last freight train ran later that year.

On 20th September 1955, Robert Greenwood Tarran, of the Wolds, Beverley High Road, Hull, died aged 63. Civil engineering contractor, and founder of Tarran Industries Ltd, former Sheriff of Hull, and chief Air Raid Warden during WW2. He moved the Wilberforce monument, at his own expense, and was responsible for building 20,000 prefabs after the war. He was also suspected of complicity in profiting from deals over council land in Endike Lane, in a law case during which his colleague Digby Willoughby committed suicide.

StevieSmith

August 17th

On 17th August 1377, King Richard II issued a charter allowing the town of Hull to ensure the town walls and moats were kept in good repair, and to compel every householder to contribute to the cost of repair.

On 17th August 1427, Thomas Brygman, vicar of Foston, asked the Pope to relax the penances paid by those who did not visit church on holy days or give alms, because the church buildings were ruinous, and lacking a bell tower to call parishioners to prayer, and because the parishioners were too poor to repair the church. Their poverty was caused by ‘divers burdens’ imposed by King Henry to fight wars, and also because of the high mortality level in the area.

On 17th August 1863, Dr T.T. Pierson of Bridlington Quay apologised for signing a certificate at The Retreat asylum, Kilham, to declare a woman insane (whom he had known since they were at school) at the request of her husband; she turned out to be suffering only from the effects of alcohol.

On 17th August 1905, Hull merchant Frederick Harker was fined £2 plus costs for speeding at Harpham – travelling at 28 miles per hour in a 20mph zone. It was reported that the method used, of 3 police officers timing him over a measured distance, had not been used before.

On 17th August 1920, Sir Luke White, MP, died at Driffield, aged 75. Liberal MP for Buckrose since 1900, he died a pauper and under investigation for bankruptcy, having covered his political expenses by using money entrusted to him by the clients of his business as a solicitor.

On 17th August 1954, workers at King George Dock, Hull, began a strike against unsafe working conditions called the ‘Filling Strike’; within hours, 4,000 dockers were on strike and 60 ships lay idle. The strike ended after 11 days.

 

1954 dock strike

August 16th

Ebenezer Cobb Morley

 

On 16th August 1831, Ebenezer Cobb Morley was born in Princess Street, Hull, became a solicitor, an oarsman (he founded the Barnes and Mortlake Regatta), a footballer (he played in the first ever Football Association match), proposed the meeting which led to the creation of the FA, and drafted the first FA Laws of the Game in 1863. (d 20.11.1924)

On 16th August 1853, after 57 days, the Government Commission of Enquiry into Electoral Corruption held at the Mansion House, Hull, ended, and concluded that immense amounts of political corruption had been practised, but that other boroughs were equally corrupt. As a result, a Bribery Act was passed in 1854. In 1857, James Clay and Viscount Goderich (later Lord Ashley), the cause of the original complaint, were both re-elected with increased majorities. (and see 23.5)

On 16th August 1931, Charles Hudson, 53,  of Hessle was lost at sea during the Fastnet Ocean Yacht Race. (b 20.1.1878)

August 9th

Bishop's Palace, Howden

On 9th August 1260, Walter of Kirkham, Bishop of Durham, died at the Bishop’s Palace, Howden. His body was taken to Durham for burial but his viscera were buried in the church. photo shows what remains of Bishop’s Palace.

On 9th August 1516, Sir Ralph Ellerker of Risby confessed to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, Archbishop of York, that he ordered his servants Henry Norham and Roberte Hunt to kidnap George Millet, keeper of Beverley Parks, and imprison him in Cottingham Park so that he could hunt on the Archbishop’s land. Pleading poverty, he was bound over in the sum of £200.

On 9th August 1769, John Burrill of Skipsea assaulted John Warcup with swords, staves, knives and clubs so that his life was threatened and ‘other wrongs’. Burrill was indicted in September, found guilty on 24.4.1770, and sentenced 2.10.1770 to a fine of £20 and to remain in gaol until the fine was paid.

On 9th August 1785, Rev George Lambert went to see a 24 foot whale killed and displayed at South End, Hull (near modern pier); described by sailors as a young bottlenecked grampus.

On 9th August 1859, Hansard records the 29.4.1859 election in Beverley void; Ralph Walters was declared ‘not a Burgess to serve in this present Parliament for the Borough of Beverley’ and Henry Edwards was declared MP in his place. Joseph Robinson Pease in his diary called Walters ‘an adventurer, arriving 3 days previously’, ‘by open bribery …. carried the day.’

On 9th August 1902, William Day Keyworth junior, sculptor, died aged 59 in Spring Bank, Hull. He produced many statues of civic dignitaries, including Andrew Marvell, Anthony Bannister and William Wilberforce (now outside Wilberforce House). Shot himself in the head at his home, but left no suicide note.

On the same day, Nafferton villagers were celebrating King Edward VII’s coronation with, among other events, a ‘comic’ cricket match, gentlemen vs ladies, which the ladies won. The score is not recorded.

On 9th August 1915, 17 Goole residents, mostly women and children, were killed by a Zeppelin raid on the town and docks.

On 9th August 1916, a Zeppelin raid on Anlaby Road, Hull,  killed John Broadley aged 3 and at least 7 other residents, and injured about 20. 2 people died of shock. Rev A.W. Carter, Assistant Priest of Newington Church, was badly hurt.

 

June 3rd

On 3rd June 1642, a few weeks after being refused entry into Hull, King Charles I called a meeting of the Yorkshire gentry at Heworth Moor, near York, and 70,000 attended. 200 young men volunteered to form a bodyguard for the King. The 2 Hilyard brothers of Winestead, Henry and Robert, attended, and volunteered. Many other ER people must also have attended.

On 3rd June 1717, Thomas Watson died aged 80. Born in Hull, he was created Bishop of St David’s, and in 1707 built almshouses in North Church Side. Supported James II in 1688. He lost his ecclesiastical offices in 1699 for selling church property or offices, and reputedly died a rich man. (b 1.3.1637) The picture shows the almshouses.

On 3rd June 1801, when their husbands were killed by the Danes in a military engagement off Copenhagen, the widows of Matthew Cobb and James Davis, Humber pilots, were given financial support by Hull Trinity House at 10s 6d per week, 6 weeks and 4 weeks respectively.

 

Bishop Watson's Hospital

May 23rd

On 23rd May 1260, William de Forz III, count of Aumale and Lord of Holderness, died, aged about 45. He gave away his claim to the earldom of Chester in return for 2 small manors, including Driffield. Acted as ambassador for Henry III to Scotland and France, and was a member of the Council of Fifteen, advising the King on government matters. Gave land to Meaux Abbey on ‘the island called Ravenser Odd in the Humber’. His heir, Thomas, was 6 and he and the count’s lands were put into the King’s care.

On 23rd May 1510, Howden tiler Robert Colstayne claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for ‘the security of his body’; the register gives no detail of who was pursuing him, or why.

On 23rd May 1596, Howden churchwardens gave 6d to 2 poor men (presumably travelling through on their way to their home parish).

On 23rd May 1642, Hull Governor Sir John Hotham called a meeting of ‘knights and gentlemen’ to give a ‘learned speech’ explaining why he refused to allow King Charles into the town. This was part of the ‘paper war’ between the King and Parliament.

On 23rd May 1822, Hull merchant Joseph R. Pease attended a public meeting for the Relief of the Suffering Irish, due to famine in the West. He reported it thinly attended.

On 23rd May 1853, a Government enquiry into electoral corruption was opened at the Mansion House, Hull.  This followed a petition from the Conservative Party objecting to the election of James Clay and Viscount Goderich as MPs for Hull in the previous year. Hull was unrepresented in Parliament for almost 2 years; the Commission sat for 57 days and produced a report weighing over 11 tons and costing £5,000. (and see 16.8)

On 23rd May 1904, on Whit Monday, the Holderness Polo club held a polo match which attracted 6,000 spectators. This was held at the Polo Ground, Westbourne Avenue, Hull (modern Westbourne Ave West to Perth St West)The last matches were played in 1907.

On 23rd May 1907, the Mayoress of Hull opened a new military rifle range at Rolston, for use by Militia, Volunteers and Yeomanry. The land was leased from Rolston Hall.  below – Rolston Hall.

On 23rd May 1911, a fire began in the kitchen chimney of Sledmere House, which 24 hours later had destroyed the whole house. Fire engines from Driffield and Malton attended. There were no injuries.

 

 

Rolston Hall.jpg