September 20th

On 20th September 1188, St John’s church at Beverley and most of the town were damaged by fire. St John’s remains were not found until 1197.

On 20th September 1535, John Colynson and Thomas Savage, yeomen of Holme on Spalding Moor were declared outlaws after spending more than a year in sanctuary in Ripon. They sought sanctuary in 1534, confessing to stealing a horse. Savage confessed to the murder of Amery Burdett, but Colynson did not confess, though a coroner’s jury found them both responsible, and indicted others as accessories.

On 20th September 1769, Felice de Giardini, famous violinist, played at the start of a 3-day festival to celebrate the installation of the new organ at Beverley Minster, the first festival of its type in the north of England. New music by Handel was performed, including the recently completed Messiah; tickets were 2s6d and 5s.

On 20th September 1779, Mr Foster, Bridlington quay master, reported that John Paul Jones’ American squadron of ships had attacked a large fleet of colliers and ran them into the harbour.

On 20th September 1813, Thomas Nutbrown was born in Eastrington.  Probably the same person who, aged 14 in 1828, applied to the Howden poor relief officers for some new clothes, and was granted a second hand coat. He died aged 72 in Leeds Township, Quebec, Canada, on 25 Sept 1885.

On 20th September 1883, Rev Edward Cragg Haynes died aged 62 in Swinefleet, after serving there for 32 years. Born in Barbados, classed as ’free coloured’, had links to the Clapham Sect. Set up a Grammar School in Swinefleet attended among others by Joseph Rank. (christened 3.6.1821)

On 20th September 1902, Stevie Smith was born Florence Margaret Smith in Hull. Poet and novelist, most famous for ‘Not waving but drowning’. D 7.3.1971 see photo

On 20th September 1903, Annie Marshall, 16, domestic servant, from Lissett, was raped, shot twice, suffocated with grass and thrown in the river at Scampston by Charles William Ashton, 19, of Cottingham, farmhand.  Ashton knew her well. He was found guilty of murder and hanged at Hull Prison on 11thDecember the same year.

On 20th September 1954, the Selby to Driffield rail line was closed for regular passenger traffic, a service of one regular non stop train each way plus occasional summer excursions ran until June 1965. The line was abandoned after the last freight train ran later that year.

On 20th September 1955, Robert Greenwood Tarran, of the Wolds, Beverley High Road, Hull, died aged 63. Civil engineering contractor, and founder of Tarran Industries Ltd, former Sheriff of Hull, and chief Air Raid Warden during WW2. He moved the Wilberforce monument, at his own expense, and was responsible for building 20,000 prefabs after the war. He was also suspected of complicity in profiting from deals over council land in Endike Lane, in a law case during which his colleague Digby Willoughby committed suicide.


August 15th

On 15th August 1690, Robert Lumley, ship’s master, was fined 10s by Hull Trinity House for sailing out of the port without supplying the House with a list of men and their wages.

On 15th August 1764, Abraham Clayton, 35, of Howden, was hanged at York Castle for murdering his wife Elizabeth; his body was given to surgeons ‘to be anatomized’.

On 15th August 1808, Robert Pattinson,  grazier and agriculturist, died aged 82, and left 4 acres of land in Skeffling, the rent to be used to educate poor children in Easington.

On 15th August 1924, Harry Blanshard Wood, VC, died aged 42 in Devon, after a traffic accident. Born in Newton-on-Derwent, he was a corporal in the 2ndBattalion, Scots Guards when on 13.10.1918 in St Python, France, he took command when his platoon sergeant was killed, and showed gallant conduct and initiative, for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

On the same day, BBC radio station 6KH began broadcasting local items from bishop Lane, Hull, including sport, talks, children’s shows, and music featuring local musicians, e.g. Powolny’s Restaurant Bijou Orchestra. In 1928, the station closed, and there was no local station until Radio Humberside opened in 1971.

On 15th August 1940, 13 military personnel and 1 civilian died, and 16 injured in this daytime air raid on Driffield airfield and Southburn, including Aircraftwoman M. Hudson, the first WRAF fatality.