March 27th

On 27th March 1349, an earthquake was recorded at Meaux and in Beverley, as in much of Eastern England. The monks were at prayer, and had reached the 2ndverse of Psalm 60 – ‘Thou hast made the earth to tremble; Thou hast broken it’.

On 27th March 1570, Thomas Bishop of Pocklington was tried at York Castle, and hanged, drawn and quartered for his part in the Northern Catholic rebellion against Queen Elizabeth. Anthony Langdale of Sancton escaped to Rome, and others may have fled to exile in Paris.

On 27th March 1575, Frederick Gottfried, aged 37, of Hull, was convicted of coining guineas and hanged in York.

On 27th March 1634, Mr Vavasour of Hesslewood (we don’t know if this was Thomas, 1stbaronet, Walter, 2ndbart, or another) was riding past Micklegate Bar in York when he saw moving earth, and helped convicted felon John Bartendale out of his grave. Bartendale was a travelling musician, who had been tried, hanged and buried. He was returned to prison, and at the next Assizes was given a full pardon.

On 27th March 1679, Mary Trot the daughter of Angel Trot died in infancy in Ellerker, and was buried, even though her father was a pauper, in a woollen shroud, following an Act passed to protect the woollen trade.

On 27th March 1615, Marmaduke Stutt of South Frodingham was buried in Winestead Lane after drowning whilst walking along the road.

On 27th March 1799, George Pycock died in Hull aged 50. He was the principal architect and builder in Hull at the time. He built Mytongate jail, the Infirmary, Prospect St, and St Giles Church, Marfleet. His only surviving building is the Neptune Inn, Whitefriargate.  (b1749)

Neptune Inn

December 18th

On 18th December 1594, Katherine Johns, chambermaid to the Clifford family, on behalf of Lady Grissell, paid 2s to the Beverley waits, presumably for performing at Londesborough House.

On 18th December 1612, Sir Francis Clifford bought 30 young elm trees to enhance the woodland of the house; it took 3 men with a cart and 5 horses to transport them.

On 18th December 1745, Thomas Owst of Halsham, a ‘popish recusant’, was given licence to travel to Drax to see his wife, who was ill. Catholics were forbidden to travel more than 5 miles from home without permission.

On 18th December 1824, Sir John Hall was born in Hull. Emigrated aged 27 to New Zealand, where he became the 12thPrime Minister, and moved the Parliamentary Bill that gave women the vote in 1893. (d 25.6.1907, Christchurch NZ) see photo

On 18th December 1919, the Clerk to the Hull Local Profiteering Committee, wrote to the Board of Trade, suggesting that an inquiry be held into possible profiteering by Hammonds Ltd. They had sold to Mr E.R. Kidby of Plane Street, 4 knitting needles for 1s 01/2d, on which Hammonds said they made 1 1/2d profit. The complaint was not upheld, as the needles were bought before the Profiteering Act 1919 came into force, but the BoT suggested making another purchase, and they could then investigate.

Sir John Hall


October 19th

On 19th October 1469, John Fisher was born in Beverley, the eldest son of Robert and Agnes Fisher. Chancellor of Cambridge University, Bishop of Rochester, and chaplain to royalty.  He was executed for treason 22.6.1535 on Tower Hill, for speaking out against Henry VIII’s divorce, and refusing to acknowledge the heirs of Henry and Ann Boleyn as legitimate successors to the throne. A Catholic martyr, he was canonized as St John Fisher.

On 19th October 1781, Rev George Lambert reported in his diary on a very high tide which inundated many houses in Hull.

On 19th October 1826, a Huggate parish jury of 12 men, 2 affearers (assessors of fines) and the pinder, set penalties for anyone allowing cattle into public lanes at night at 2s6d per head, for the first offence, and 5s per head for every offence afterwards; for allowing pigs in the streets without a ring between May Day and Michaelmas 3d per head; for allowing geese in the streets between Old Mayday and Old Lammas, 1s; for allowing anyone to stay who does not have a certificate allowing them to settle, £1 19s 11d.

On 19th October 1890, John Connell, boatman, of Waxholme, in the Coastguard Service, took part in the rescue of crew from the Grimsby vessel Genesta when it ran aground. All were rescued, except the captain, who died of exposure. Connell went on to the vessel as it was breaking up to rescue a man too weak to help himself. Connell was awarded the Humane Society Silver Medal. The unmanned vessel broke free the following day and travelled to Withernsea.

On 19th October 1964, rail passengers took their last trips on the Hull to Withernsea and Hull to Hornsea rail lines, which closed as a result of the Beeching Report. Goods services to Withernsea continued to 30.4.1965, to Hedon 3.5.1965, and to Marfleet to 1972. photo shows part of Hornsea Rail Trail today.

Hornsea Rail Trail


September 17th

On 17th September 1523, Hull widow Dame Joan Thurscross in her will left £30 for new vestments for St Mary’s church, £35 to hire a priest for seven years to sing for her soul, the souls of her three husbands, of her parents, and of her son, £4 to the building works at the White Friars’, £20 for mending the causeway between Beverley and Anlaby, thirteen white gowns for thirteen poor women, and silver for Hull Charterhouse.

On 17th September 1584, Peter Copley, clothier, was stripped of his status as burgess of Hull and disenfranchised, as a penalty for dyeing the clothes of people from outside the town and bartering the goods of ‘strangers’ as though they were his own. As he was ill at the time, he was not informed of this until he recovered.

On 17th September 1679, Rev Thomas Sedgwick died, aged 58. Puritan theologian and Vicar of St Giles, Marfleet between 1639 and 1672, he is commemorated with a memorial in the church, for the unusual feat of surviving in his post through the Civil War and Reformation.  photos show memorial and translation

On 17th September 1864, 3 residents of Hessle Road, Hull aboard the Humber ferry were gored when a bull being carried across broke loose and ran amok.

August 18th

On 18th August 1522, Thomas Webster, a weaver from Lowthorpe, claimed sanctuary in St John’s Church, Beverley, for the death of Thomas Ayke of Littlebeck. On the same day, a 2nd man entered the sanctuary – John Thorp, a husbandman of Eastrington, for a felony.

On 18th August 1552, Church commissioners seized items of value from St Giles Church, Marfleet, no longer needed in plainer protestant services, including a silver chalice, brass candlesticks, bells and a brass holy water vat. Witnesses from the parish were Marmaduke Loickwos, Herry Birkett, Richard Walker, and Thomas Almonde.

On 18th August 1782, Rev George Lambert reported seeing a meteor or fireball pass over the town in the morning, which alarmed many people.

On 18th August 1808, Margaret Kissling, nee Moxon, was born in Sculcoates.  She married a Lutheran missionary, worked in Sierra Leone and settled in New Zealand as teacher and nurse. (d 20.9.1891)

On 18th August 1832, Charles Winn, Tory candidate, issued a poster to refute allegations that he supported slavery, during his General Election campaign.

On 18th August 1941, an air raid destroyed St Margaret’s Church, Hilston, the 3rdchurch on this site, its predecessor having been replaced in 1862 by Sir Tatton Sykes. The only remnant of the first church is its Norman doorway. The current church was consecrated in 1957, built by local architect Francis Johnson, and was listed in 2017.


hilston church & tower.JPG




July 30th

whalebone arch Pat.JPG

On 30th July  1526, Preston butcher John Erdy claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for felony and debt.

On 30th July 1643, the parish clerk of St Mary’s, Beverley, reported in the parish register that they buried 13 men killed on the King’s side in the Civil War.

On 30th July 1782, the crew of Hull whaler Benjamin landed 135 butts of blubber and over 2 tons of whalebone, the product of 3 whales caught in the Davis Strait. (Rev George Lambert had shares in the ship). photo shows whalebone arch outside Patrington

On 30th July 1861, John Ellerthorpe, aged 55, rescued John Eaby, who had fallen into the Humber Dock Basin, Hull. This was Ellerthorpe’s 39thand last rescue. Named ‘The Hero of the Humber’, he was awarded with the Royal Humane Society’s Silver Medal.

On 30th July 1891, Mary Jane Langley, 18 years, of Westfield Farm, Long Lane (now Neat Marsh Road) Preston, was last seen alive when she walked to Marfleet and took the train to Hull to have her photo taken. Her body was found in a ditch near her home. Her throat had been cut. John Rennard was arrested and tried, but not convicted.