On 10th April 1694, John Roxby & Thomas Spicer (Ferriby) and Peter Acy and Samuel Newton (Swanland) were chosen as parish Overseers for the Highways, (Ferriby and Swanland being in the same parish, but choosing separate officers). On the same date, Overseers of the Poor chosen were Paull Wollas and Wm Jefferson (Ferriby) and Robt Parker and Christopher Boynton (Swanland).
On 10th April 1733, Thomas Pelling, the “Flying Man’, set up a tightrope between Pocklington church steeple and the Star Inn, and fell to his death; he is buried in the churchyard.
On 10th April 1956, Paul Robeson, singer, actor and political activist, performed at Hull City Hall to an audience of 2,000. Publicity described him as ‘the world’s greatest negro actor, singer and film star’.
On 16th March 1589, Robert Dalby (or Drury), priest, was executed for treason as a Catholic priest. Born in Hemingbrough, he was a Protestant minister, then ordained as a Catholic priest at Chalons in 1588, and was arrested on landing at Scarborough.
On 16th March 1660, the ship of Richard Williamson of Scarborough rammed the dolphin at the entrance to the River Hull, and was sunk. Trinity House was entitled to charge for repairs, but were lenient and only fined him £3.
On 16th March 1695, John Roxby & John Field (Ferriby) and Henry Watson and Benjamin Galland (Swanland) were chosen by the parish as Overseers for the Highways for the following year, Ferriby and Swanland being in the same parish, but choosing separate officers.
On 16th March 1879, Colonel Sir Tatton Benvenuto Mark Sykes, (usually known as Sir Mark) was born in Sledmere. He was a traveller, author, MP for Hull Central, advisor to the Government on Middle East affairs, and co-author of the Sykes-Picot Agreement, which partitioned the Ottoman Empire. (died of flu 16.2.1919)
On 16th March 1939, Jean Farrow of Hull was the first ever female winner of the Kiplingcotes Derby, on Masterful.
On 31st October 1640, the gentry of Cottingham, Swanland and other villages petitioned Sir John Conyers to remove his regiment to other quarters, as they were eating up all their cattle fodder and supplies, and many other ‘insupportable damages and dangers’. Many troops had already been removed from Hull into the surrounding villages for similar reasons. The petition was not successful, although the troops did look for other quarters.
On 31st October 1646, Sir Robert Hildyard of Patrington was fined £610 as a Royalist (delinquent) in order to recover his goods which had been sequestered by Parliament. He was a member of the King’s Privy Council.
On the same day, Michael Wharton of Beverley was fined £1,600 for the same reason. He had been a captain in the Royalist army.
On 31st October 1793, John Woodhead, mason, was killed at work on the building site of the Neptune Inn, Whitefriargate. Hull Trinity House gave his widow a gratuity of £5 5s.
On 31st October 1833, the Humber pilots’ work for that day included taking men from Trinity House to relay the Bull buoy.
On 31st October 1929, George Jackson Bentham died suddenly, while boarding a train home, in the company of a young lady not his wife. Hull city councillor, JP, and MP for Gainsborough, he was the son of the founder of Wm Jackson & Son, and the company’s managing director. He changed his name by deed poll to that of his Liberal hero, Jeremy Bentham.
On 19th October 1469, John Fisher was born in Beverley, the eldest son of Robert and Agnes Fisher. Chancellor of Cambridge University, Bishop of Rochester, and chaplain to royalty. He was executed for treason 22.6.1535 on Tower Hill, for speaking out against Henry VIII’s divorce, and refusing to acknowledge the heirs of Henry and Ann Boleyn as legitimate successors to the throne. A Catholic martyr, he was canonized as St John Fisher.
On 19th October 1781, Rev George Lambert reported in his diary on a very high tide which inundated many houses in Hull.
On 19th October 1826, a Huggate parish jury of 12 men, 2 affearers (assessors of fines) and the pinder, set penalties for anyone allowing cattle into public lanes at night at 2s6d per head, for the first offence, and 5s per head for every offence afterwards; for allowing pigs in the streets without a ring between May Day and Michaelmas 3d per head; for allowing geese in the streets between Old Mayday and Old Lammas, 1s; for allowing anyone to stay who does not have a certificate allowing them to settle, £1 19s 11d.
On 19th October 1890, John Connell, boatman, of Waxholme, in the Coastguard Service, took part in the rescue of crew from the Grimsby vessel Genesta when it ran aground. All were rescued, except the captain, who died of exposure. Connell went on to the vessel as it was breaking up to rescue a man too weak to help himself. Connell was awarded the Humane Society Silver Medal. The unmanned vessel broke free the following day and travelled to Withernsea.
On 19th October 1964, rail passengers took their last trips on the Hull to Withernsea and Hull to Hornsea rail lines, which closed as a result of the Beeching Report. Goods services to Withernsea continued to 30.4.1965, to Hedon 3.5.1965, and to Marfleet to 1972. photo shows part of Hornsea Rail Trail today.
On 13th September 1420, Sir Gerard Usflete III and his wife Elizabeth, Duchess of Norfolk, had no surviving children. His will said that all his lands and tenements in Swanland and Ousefleet should be sold and the proceeds distributed to the poor. In return, the poor were to pray for his soul every year. He fought at Agincourt, was an associate of the De la Poles, and was Sheriff of Yorkshire. Buried at North Ferriby.
On 13th September 1512, Christopher Person, mercer of Routh, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for debt.