On 17th September 1523, Hull widow Dame Joan Thurscross in her will left £30 for new vestments for St Mary’s church, £35 to hire a priest for seven years to sing for her soul, the souls of her three husbands, of her parents, and of her son, £4 to the building works at the White Friars’, £20 for mending the causeway between Beverley and Anlaby, thirteen white gowns for thirteen poor women, and silver for Hull Charterhouse.
On 17th September 1584, Peter Copley, clothier, was stripped of his status as burgess of Hull and disenfranchised, as a penalty for dyeing the clothes of people from outside the town and bartering the goods of ‘strangers’ as though they were his own. As he was ill at the time, he was not informed of this until he recovered.
On 17th September 1679, Rev Thomas Sedgwick died, aged 58. Puritan theologian and Vicar of St Giles, Marfleet between 1639 and 1672, he is commemorated with a memorial in the church, for the unusual feat of surviving in his post through the Civil War and Reformation. photos show memorial and translation
On 17th September 1864, 3 residents of Hessle Road, Hull aboard the Humber ferry were gored when a bull being carried across broke loose and ran amok.