January 19th


Pilgr Grace

On 19th January 1537, Sir Francis Bigod was attacked by Ellerker’s men in Beverley, and most of his men were captured. After failing to capture Scarborough, he had gathered more followers at Bainton, but heard that John Hallam had failed to capture Hull. Bigod escaped to the north, and was eventually captured in March. Both Bigod and Hallam were executed.

On 19th January 1684, Sir Robert Hilyard, knight & Baron of Patrington, gave his son Capt Robert Hilyard ‘2 whole pues or closets, which were positioned in the South Transept’.

On 19th January 1970, Alan Plater oversaw the first production at the new theatre in Spring Street of his own play ‘Don’t Build a Bridge, Drain the River’, with music by Mike Chapman and Mike Waterson. The Humberside Arts Centre later became Humberside Theatre, and then Hull Truck Theatre. see photo

On 19th January 1979, William Rodgers, Secretary of State for Transport, reported in the House of Commons that as the result of an industrial dispute in the road haulage industry, there was no movement of grain or animal feed out of Hull docks. The importance of Hull was stressed, as other parts of the country depended on it to deliver goods.

On 19th January 2014, the Environment Agency closed Sutton Lock on the River Derwent to navigation due to safety concerns. The lock had been reconstructed in 1972 to enable pleasure craft to travel up to Stamford Bridge and give access to the Pocklington Canal. There seemed to be uncertainty as to who owned the gates and equipment.

Spring St theatre

December 12th

On 12th December 1303, Hull burgess John Schayl left 20shillings in his will towards the rebuilding of Holy Trinity Church.

On 12th December 1659, James Primrose MD, aged 63, of Whitefriargate, Hull, signed his will, and died sometime in the same month. Raised and educated in France, related to James I’s principal surgeon and Scottish nobility. Prominent writer on medical matters, and highly respected Hull physician. Andrew Marvell referred to him in a poem. A religious nonconformist who was fined for non-attendance at church at least twice.

On 12th December 1895, Robin Pockley, coxswain of th eFlamborough lifeboat, saved the 3 crew of the fishing boat Elizabeth, who had been washed into the sea several miles off Flamborough Head; as there was not enough time to call out the lifeboat, he put out to sea with 2 colleagues in an ordinary fishing boat. He was awarded the RNLI silver medal.

On 12th December 1946, Barrie Rutter was born in Hull. Actor, director and founder of the Northern Broadsides theatre company; awarded OBE for services to drama. photo shows him (middle) in 2017 production of ‘Richard III’.


October 16th

john de sutton


On 16th October 1312, John de Sutton of Sutton-on-Hull was listed with other followers of the Earl of Lancaster as pardoned for his part in the death of Piers Gaveston, King Edward II’s favourite and Lord of Holderness. photo of Sutton church

On 16th Ocotber 1617, John Gildas confessed to the Patrington Manor Court that he had 3 times stolen barley and beans from Mr Hall’s (the rector) tithe barn.

On 16th October 1763, Ann Chameron was buried in Hutton with no ceremony, as she was a Catholic. Burial by a Catholic priest would have incurred a £20 fine.

On 16th October 1939, New Theatre (Hull) Limited, Kingston Square, opened with a production of “Me and my Girl’ by Noel Gay.



October 13th

Wm Bradley


On 13th October 1593, Oswold Ridinge, Robert Greene, William Giltencrosse, Steven Gedney, and William Deane were all before Patrington Manor Court for making affray, upon each other, and upon Thomas Blenckarne, and drawing blood of Oswold Ridinge; fined 3 shillings and 4 pence.

On 13th October 1743, William Wilberfoss Smith III died aged 75 Wrightstown, Bucks County, Province of Pennsylvania, USA. Emigrated from Weighton, Yorkshire in 1684 as an indentured servant to William Penn, and in 1686 built a cabin which is considered to be the oldest continuously occupied home in the United States.

On 13th October 1799, Rev George Lambert was called to pray with a Hull woman who had been in labour for several days, and treated by 4 surgeons who could not deliver the baby. She died.

On 13th October 1815, William Bradley, the Yorkshire Giant,  printed handbills inviting visitors to see him at 15 Queen Street, Hull during Hull Fair for a shilling.

On 13th October 1857, John Johnson, chimney sweep, was fined £5 or 7 days in prison at Beverley Magistrates Court, for employing a boy of 13 to go up a chimney in the house of Wilberforce Herdsman. Employing under 21s as sweeps was not finally outlawed nationally until 1875. Legislation in 1840 set the minimum age at 16, but was rarely enforced.

On 13th October 1859, the Theatre Royal, Humber Street, Hull, burnt down just 10 days after re-opening following a fire in September.

On 13th October 1926, in a 2-day visit to Hull, HRH Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone of the Ferens Art Gallery, visited HERIB and other factories and institutions, and took a trip on the Humber in SS Brocklesby. At Craven Park, 10,000 schoolchildren sang for him. Crowds were estimated at 200,000. this interesting clip begins with a reference to the West Riding, but stick with it, Hull is definitely there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQhZrcaMUuo

September 27th


On 27th September 1599, the Hull Mayor and Aldermen ordered that no Hull resident should attend any play or interlude performed in the town, or risk a fine of 2s6d, and that the owner of any house allowing a play to be performed be fined 20s. It is suggested that the Lord Chamberlain’s Men, Shakespeare’s company, may have paid Hull a visit and performed at the King’s Head, High Street.

On 27th September 1642, the Royalist battery at Paull built for 12 guns in July was destroyed by a bombardment from the Parliamentary ships Lion and Employment; the church was also damaged.

On 27th September 1759, Keith Thomas was baptised in Brandesburton parish church; he later became professor of geography to the Royal household, and published a number of books on mathematics.

On 27th September 1782, less than a year after setting up the Hull General Infirmary charity, funds of £2,876 were raised, enabling a hospital to be opened in temporary premises in George Street (on the site of the Dorchester Cinema)

On 27th September 1813, Altisidora, a filly bred by Richard Watt at Bishop Burton won the St Leger; the village pub is named after her.

June 25th

On 25th June 1488, brewers Cornelius Jonson and William Rowyll, both of Hull, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for a murder they both admitted; unfortunately, the register does not record who they killed, or why.

On 25th June 2007, Michael Barnett died of hypothermia in Hessle during catastrophic flooding when he became trapped trying to unblock a drain; 10,500 homes were evacuated in Hull and East Riding; many people were unable to return home for several months. photo shows Wold Road area of Hull.

On 25th June 2010, Alan Plater, playwright and prolific TV dramatist, died on this day. Lived in Hull from age 3, and a life-long Hull City supporter. In 1970, co-founded the Humberside Arts Centre, in Spring Street (later Humberside, then Spring St Theatre). Wrote ‘Don’t build a bridge, drain the river’ about Hull, and ‘Sweet Sorrow’ for Hull Truck about Philip Larkin. Awarded several BAFTAs and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Writers’ Guild of Great Britain. (b 15.4.1935 Jarrow)

Hull Floods 2007

June 18th

On 18th June 1584, James Halsey was imprisoned in Hull, (presumably for what we call today contempt of court) until he confess his fault, after he spoke with contempt to the mayor and aldermen and said that the fines imposed on him (see 24.3) were unjust.

On 18th June 1599, Hull Corporation ordered a general muster of all people aged 16 to 60, and specifying the type of arms they should be issued with. (Did this include women?)

On 18th June 1874, at his annual visit to Sunk Island village school, HM Inspector of Schools spoke highly of the master, Mr Thomas Osgerby.

On 18th June 1920, Ian Gillett Carmichael was born in Hull. A film and TV actor, particularly in comedy. Awarded an OBE in 2003. Died 5.2.2010. photo shows a clip from the film “Lucky Jim’.

‘.Ian Carmichael

June 8th

On 8th June 1300, a year after Hull’s establishment, King Edward I gave a charter to allow the mayor and aldermen to pave the major streets, with a central gutter for ease of drainage. The work began in 1301.

On 8th June 1661, King Charles II wrote a letter to the Hull Mayor, prohibiting John Shaw from preaching in Holy Trinity, as he was too radical a Puritan. He retained his post as Master of the Charterhouse, and his sermons there continued to draw large crowds, but he resigned the following year.

On 8th June 1806, in a kitchen accident, in Hull, Mrs Lambert reported being struck on the back by a large hanging lump of sugar she had dislodged; she expected that if it had hit her on the head, she would have died.

On 8th June 1815, the Commissioner of Customs acquired the former Neptune Inn, Whitefriargate, as a Custom House. The Inn had opened in 1797, but had never made the expected profit of a first-class coaching inn. The building now houses Boots Chemists.

On 8th June 1821, the troopship Thomas of London was driven on to the Binks sands, in the Humber; the 26 troops, crew, 2 women and a child were rescued, and 1 woman drowned, despite brave attempts by the captain, Lieutenant Pritchard, to save her. The operation by Robert Richardson, master of the Spurn lifeboat, and crew, took 11 hours.

On 8th June 1829, Ira Aldridge, celebrated American actor of African heritage, performed in Hull for the first time, at the Theatre Royal, Humber Street; over a long and distinguished career he visited Hull several times, and performed at the Nag’s Head, Driffield in 1841.



May 17th

On 17th May 1660, King Charles II’s accession to the throne was announced in Hull; from a gallows in the Marketplace the arms of the Commonwealth and effigies of Oliver Cromwell and Serjeant Bradshaw were hanged.

On 17th May 1881, after its first year of concerts, Hull Philharmonic Society recorded a loss of £15 12s8d.

On 17th May 1943, John Pulford, DFM, 23, was flight engineer on the ‘Dam Busters’ raid which destroyed the Mohne & Edersee dams, Germany. Died when his plane crashed in Sussex 12.2.1944. (b 24.12.1919 Sculcoates)

On 17th May 1954, Arthur Lucan died in his dressing room at the Tivoli Theatre, Paragon Street, Hull, during preparations for a new revue; Lucan was famous for playing Old Mother Riley in many films and shows.