July 5th

On 5th July 1532, Henry VIII’s charter was read out in Hull Market Place, and prohibited anyone but Hull burgesses from conducting business in the port; the corporation paid £31 19s4d to obtain the charter, part of which was paid in the form of a sturgeon for Thomas Cromwell.

On 5th July 1657, a major fire in Hedon starting at 1 a.m. resulted in the loss of 42 houses, and others damaged. In August, the Mayor petitioned Parliament for permission to hold a collection to raise money; £4,000 was raised.

On 5th July 1776, John Wesley paid a visit to Howden and preached to a large congregation during a thunderstorm near Station Road, Howden. Wesley’s picture below

On 5th July 1811, Bridlington Collector of Customs Benjamin Milne discovered a tidal spring near the quay, now commemorated by a stone inscription.

On 5th July 1899, Hull Alderman Larard took the controls of the city’s first municipal electric tram (Siemens Bros & Co provided the electrical equipment). A spectator hoping for a good view, climbed on the roof of the public lavatories and fell through.

On 5th July 1930, the annual King’s Cup Air Race took place on this date, and planes had to follow a route of around 800 miles. Hull Aerodrome was a main control station on the route. Tickets were sold for 1s and 2s6d. The winner was Miss Winifred Brown in an Avro Avian III. (N.B. Hull Aerodrome is actually in Preston South.)

 

john wesley

July 3rd

On 3rd July 1267, Alice Falketon was given permission by the church authorities to build herself a house in St Nicholas Churchyard, so that she could live as an anchoress. Enquiries had been made as to whether she was a fit person, with enough funds to maintain herself, and if this would be convenient to the parish.

On 3rd July 1524, Peter Gornarr, tanner, of Bridlington, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for the murder of Robert Skelton of Bridlington, a tailor.

On 3rd July 1642, King Charles I set up his court in Beverley at the house of Lady Gee, North Bar Within, and quartered his forces (about 3,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry) in and around Anlaby, Cottingham and Newland.

On 3rd July 1797, Hull Trinity House paid £2 10s to William Brand, James Hayes, Samuel Harrison and J. Peterson, whose ship the Argo had been captured.

On 3rd July 1850, Mr T. Firbank, Chairman of Hull Dock Company,  opened Victoria Dock, the first of Hull’s docks east of the River Hull.

On 3rd July 1892, a great flood at Langtoft reached a height of 7 ½ feet.

Beverley Minster

June 11th

On 11th June 1312, a miracle was recorded when some boys whose sight was failing had their eyes smeared with oil which flowed from the tomb of St John of Beverley. Their sight then began to improve.

On 11th June 1909, the Hornsea Golf Club officially opened; a large gathering of golfers from Hull, Leeds, Doncaster, Scarborough, Beverley and Bridlington took part in various competitions.

On 11th June  1925, John Ball, 17, deckhand of Michael St, Hull, was lost overboard from Hull trawler Wheatstone 182 miles ExN of Spurn.

St Andrews Dock memorial

 

June 2nd

On 2nd June 1537, William Wood, prior of Bridlington, Sir Thomas Percy of Leconfield, George Lumley of Thwing and Sir Francis Bigod of Settrington were found guilty of treason and hanged at London’s Tyburn for their parts in the Pilgrimage of Grace.

On 2nd June 1838, Snowden Dunhill, 72 years, died in prison in Port Arthur, Tasmania. He was convicted of receiving stolen goods,   having been sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia in 1823 for theft. He and his family had become notorious at home in Spaldington, near Howden, and after the publication of his life story in 1834 he became famous in England as a latter day Dick Turpin.

 

Pilgr Grace

June 1st

On 1st June 1787, William Wilberforce asked the King to make a Royal Proclamation for the Encouragement of Piety and Virtue. Concerned at the large number of death sentences being carried out, he reasoned that those punished for small crimes, such as swearing, would be less likely to commit serious crimes, such as murder. The Society for the Reformation of Manners was established in Hull as a result.

On 1st June 1798, William Wickham, Superintendent of Aliens, wrote advising on the tightening of the Aliens Act, with particular relation to Italian pedlars landing at Hull.

On 1st June 1820, Rev Arthur Strickland and 6 other gentlemen adopted the rules of the Bridlington Cricket Club; cricket was clearly a game for the gentry, as subscriptions were 10s6d. Visitors and occasional residents could be invited to play for the summer. the pitch was in the field between Bessingby and the mill.

On 1st June 1829, Hull’s Junction Dock opened, completing the line of docks connecting the Hull and the Humber, along the line of the old wall . Later renamed Princes Dock after HRH the Prince Consort.

On 1st June 1853, Malton & Driffield Junction Railway opened its 19 miles of track to public traffic.

On 1st June 1875, Alice Elizabeth Rawson was the first person to be baptised in the newly created parish of Newington, in Newington parish Mission Room, Edinburgh St, before the church was built in 1878.

On 1st June 1891, the Royal Baccarat Scandal trial was the first time the heir to the throne was called as a witness in court. It began at a house party at Tranby Croft, Anlaby, (now Hull Collegiate School) home of Charles Wilson,  when Sir William Gordon-Cumming was accused of cheating at cards. Gordon-Cumming lost the slander case, and was dismissed from his army post the day after the trial ended. photo shows Charles Wilson’s memorial in Warter church.

Chas Wilson Nunburnholme

May 29th

On 29th May 1896, Rev Henry Frederick Barnes-Lawrence died aged 81 at Bridlington Quay. He had been Rector of Bridlington Priory church for 25 years, overseeing its restoration by Sir George Gilbert Scott. He had been a keen birder, and set up the Association for the Protection of Sea-birds, forerunner of the RSPB. His memorial is in the Priory Church.

On 29th May 1941, an air raid demolished 5 office boxes and damaged 9 others in St Andrew’s Dock, Hull. Damage to ARP unit, wagons, fish sidings and an air raid shelter.

On 29th May 1999, Fernand Laville, Free French veteran, presented Nafferton parish council with a regimental plaque to commemorate the billeting of Free French soldiers in the village during WW2. 16 veterans returned to Nafferton for a reunion.

Barnes-Lawrence