On 12th March 1511, Elizabeth Nelson, spinster of Pollington, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for felony and murder of an infant (possibly her own child) at Hull.
On 12th March 1553, on the surrender to King Edward VI of the castle and fortifications at Hull, the King granted to Ralph Constable former monastery lands in Swine, Newton Grange, and all the extensive lands formerly belonging to the dissolved Hospital of St Sepulchre, Hedon. He was also the tenant of the site of Hull Charterhouse.
On 12th March 1622, Josias Lambert, schoolmaster, left the employment of Francis Clifford, Earl of Cumberland, after 9 months teaching ‘scholars’, which may have included some of the Londesborough House household staff and/or their children. The Earl also supported the village school at (Market) Weighton. photo shows Londesborough church
On 12th March 1647, Sir Matthew Boynton died at Bainton aged 56. Sheriff of Yorkshire twice, MP twice (once for Hedon and once for Scarborough), 1stBaronet, of Barmston. He helped capture Sir John Hotham when he intended to surrender Hull to the Royalists. His son Colonel Matthew Boynton was killed fighting for the Royalists in the Battle of Wigan Lane in 1651. (bapt 26.1.1591)
On 12th March 1697, the Brethren of Hull Trinity House charged almost £21 for the launch of the 60-gun Royal Navy ship HMS Kingston from Hessle. Work included laying buoys from the launching site to Hull.
On 11th February 1346, William de la Pole agreed to resume lending money to King Edward III, in return for the return of all his goods that were in the hands of the sheriff. Relations between the king and his banker were precarious, but he remained in favour for the time being…
On 11th February 1657, Thomas Cowlam, labourer, and Jane Millington were married in a private alehouse at Spaldington by Robert Browne, vicar of Eastrington.
On 11th February 1941 at 5.30p.m., an anti-aircraft shell fell in Jalland Street, Hull, with no casualties. The blitz on Hull reached its peak in May that year.
On 11th February 1943, Flt Sgt 785073 Harold E.R. Saunders died with 6 other crew (1 survived) when mechanical problems caused his Halifax bomber to crash near North Dalton, shortly after taking off from Pocklington. 6 of them are buried in Barmby Moor churchyard.
On 16th December 1512, William Crag of Cave claimed sanctuary at the church of St Cuthbert, Durham, for ‘asportation’; along with others, he had stolen 25 horses and mares, near Cave; in addition, in a certain park near Airton by York, he stole 3 other horses.
On 16th December 1586, the Earl of Huntingdon, on behalf of the Council in the North, wrote to the Hull Corporation to ask them to prevent merchants profiteering from the corn shortage by purchasing stocks for poor relief at a reasonable rate.
On 16th December 1645, Hull draper Robert Cartwright was fined £47 as a former Captain in the Royalist army (a ‘delinquent’) in order to recover his goods which had been sequestered by Parliament.
On 16th December 1689, a number of Danish soldiers were in William of Orange’s army, and 2 of them quarrelled and settled their dispute by a sword duel at Beverley. The survivor was beheaded in Saturday Market. (see 23.12)
On 16th December 1929, the R100 airship, the largest airship ever designed, made by a team led by Sir Barnes Neville Wallis, and including novelist Neville Shute Norway, took its maiden voyage from Spaldington Air Station.
On 16th December 2010, Easington tithe barn was offered for sale at an auction with a guide price of £125,000 and failed to sell. The 14thC building is the last remaining tithe barn in the county, and a Grade II listed building.
On 24th September 1298, an inquisition was held by the Court of Chancery into Sir Osbert de Spaldington’s goods and lands, which were taken by the king. As recently as 1296, Edward had made him Governor of Berwick, when he received Robert the Bruce and imprisoned Sir William Douglas. It is not known what the allegations against him were, and he recovered most of his land by 1300, after living on the generosity of others in the meantime.
On 24th September 1401, Pope Boniface IX declared John of Bridlington a saint. John was born in Thwing, had been the Prior of Bridlington and died of the plague in 1379, aged 59. 15 miracles are recorded during his life, and 12 after his death, including saving the lives of 5 Hartlepool fishermen caught in a storm. photo shows Brid Priory church
On 24th September 1678, the wife of Thomas Richardson of Wyton died and was buried in the Quaker cemetery in Sutton.
On 24th September 1779, Lord Rockingham, High Steward of Hull, chaired a public meeting in Hull Town Hall at which it was decided that 20 18-lb guns and military equipment due to be sent to Woolwich should be used instead to defend Hull from the threat of American attack. A few days later, the threat reduced when the Americans sailed for Holland.
On 24th September 1830, Hull gunsmith Thomas Rosindale was convicted of vagrancy, having been found in the kitchen of the dwelling house of Charles Frost of Albion St. He was sent to Sculcoates House of Correction for 1 month’s hard labour.
On 24th September 1832, Mr J. Dunn caught a 17lb trout near Driffield.
On 7th August 1385, Joan of Kent (the Fair Maid of Kent), mother of King Richard II, died, it is said, of a broken heart. She was unable to persuade her son King Richard to pardon another son, Sir John Holland, for the murder of Ralph, son of the Earl of Stafford. Holland was in sanctuary in Beverley Minster, and the murder took place nearby, when Richard’s troops were outside Beverley, on their way to the Scottish wars. Holland was pardoned within the year.
On 7th August 1427, Pope Martin V, in reply to a petition (from the parishioners of both Aughton and Bubwith churches and Peter de la Hay), granted permission that, when they were hindered in winter by floods, snow and hail from reaching their parish churches, they could use the chapel of St James in Spaldington for mass and other offices ‘while the hindrances last’.
On 7th August 1663, Robert Hardy of Hessle was enjoined by the Archbishop of York to do penance in Hessle church for his adultery. photo shows All Saints Church, Hessle
On 7th August 1840, a Serious rail accident took place in Howden, in which 4 passengers were killed, and 9 injured. The Hull and Selby Railway had only opened in full on 1st July. The accident was the subject of the first ever report by the Board of Trade into a railway accident.
On 2nd June 1537, William Wood, prior of Bridlington, Sir Thomas Percy of Leconfield, George Lumley of Thwing and Sir Francis Bigod of Settrington were found guilty of treason and hanged at London’s Tyburn for their parts in the Pilgrimage of Grace.
On 2nd June 1838, Snowden Dunhill, 72 years, died in prison in Port Arthur, Tasmania. He was convicted of receiving stolen goods, having been sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia in 1823 for theft. He and his family had become notorious at home in Spaldington, near Howden, and after the publication of his life story in 1834 he became famous in England as a latter day Dick Turpin.