On 25th March 1725, Sir John Warton died at 77 in Beverley. He was reputed to be the richest man in England, even though his father’s estates had been depleted by fines to Parliament for Royalism. He was elected MP for Hull, and twice MP for Beverley, but took little active interest in Parliament. In his will, he left £4,000 for the repair of Beverley Minster, £1,000 to Warton’s Hospital, £500 to the charity school, £100 to the poor and £100 to each parish in Beverley. photo shows Warton’s Hospital
On 25th March 1780, Peter Horsfield, a negro servant to Mr Knowsley, curate of Boynton, married Elizabeth Lawson, daughter of the vicar of Weaverthorpe. It was fashionable at the time for rich families to employ black servants.
On 25th March 1868, Rev John Healey Bromby died at 97 at Hull Charterhouse; he was up to then the oldest working minister of the Church of England.
On 25th March 1904, a ‘Smoking Café and Lounge’ was opened in the basement of the Prudential Building, Victoria Square, a landmark Hull building. In 1941, the whole building was demolished by a German bomb.
On 25th March 1927, the Ministry of Agriculture closed the Crown Colony at Sunk Island, a failed experimental farm settlement for ex-servicemen set up during WW1. This is referred to in Winifred Holtby’s ‘South Riding’ as Cold Harbour colony.
On 10th November 1274, Aveline de Forz, aged 10, was married to Edmund Crouchback, 2nd son of Henry III. Countess of Aumale and Lord of Holderness in her own right, and Countess of Lancaster by marriage. She died childless at age 15 and is buried in Westminster Abbey. The Lordship of Holderness passed to the Crown. Born Burstwick 20.1.1259
On 10th November 1293, Countess Isabella de Forz, widow of William de Forz III died, having outlived her husband and all her children, including Aveline above. A legend relates that she came across a poor man carrying a basket containing what he said were puppies, but which turned out to be seven of his children that he was going to drown because he could not afford to keep them. After severely upbraiding him for his lack of morality, Isabella adopted the children and ensured that they were looked after and well educated until their adulthood when she found employment for all of them.
On 10th November 1518, Sir Marmaduke Constable of Flamborough (known as Little Sir Marmaduke). Died after swallowing a frog (some say toad) while drinking a glass of water. Knighted for military service including Flodden a letter of thanks from Henry VIII is displayed, in Wassand Hall. photo shows his tomb in Flambrough church. & see 9.9
On 10th November 1609, Sir George Wharton, who was raised at Londesborough, died in a duel in Islington with his good friend Sir James Stuart, the King’s godson, who also died. The event was commemorated by Sir Walter Scott in his ‘Minstrelsy of the Scottish borders’. (b1583)
On 10th November 1678, Capt Towes (or Towers or Towle) of the Hull ship Shield landed settlers at Burlington, New Jersey. Many were Quakers, who settled at Burlington, Salem and other places. One of the passengers was Mr Barnes, a merchant from Hull.
On 31st October 1640, the gentry of Cottingham, Swanland and other villages petitioned Sir John Conyers to remove his regiment to other quarters, as they were eating up all their cattle fodder and supplies, and many other ‘insupportable damages and dangers’. Many troops had already been removed from Hull into the surrounding villages for similar reasons. The petition was not successful, although the troops did look for other quarters.
On 31st October 1646, Sir Robert Hildyard of Patrington was fined £610 as a Royalist (delinquent) in order to recover his goods which had been sequestered by Parliament. He was a member of the King’s Privy Council.
On the same day, Michael Wharton of Beverley was fined £1,600 for the same reason. He had been a captain in the Royalist army.
On 31st October 1793, John Woodhead, mason, was killed at work on the building site of the Neptune Inn, Whitefriargate. Hull Trinity House gave his widow a gratuity of £5 5s.
On 31st October 1833, the Humber pilots’ work for that day included taking men from Trinity House to relay the Bull buoy.
On 31st October 1929, George Jackson Bentham died suddenly, while boarding a train home, in the company of a young lady not his wife. Hull city councillor, JP, and MP for Gainsborough, he was the son of the founder of Wm Jackson & Son, and the company’s managing director. He changed his name by deed poll to that of his Liberal hero, Jeremy Bentham.
On 7th September 1316, King Edward II issued orders to Beverley to arm the whole male population between ages 16 and 60 against the Scottish threat.
On 7th September 1643, Sir John Hotham was taken from the Tower of London to Parliament to be formally ejected from his seat as MP for Yorkshire.
On 7th September 1646, Sir Michael Wharton of Beverley, considered a Royalist (delinquent) for attending a meeting at Heworth Moor addressed by the King, was fined £4,000 in order to recover his goods which had been sequestered by Parliament. His fine was reduced in 1652. photo shows Warton’s Hospital, Keldgate, Beverley.
On 7th September 1854, Robert Isaac Wilberforce, vicar of Burton Agnes and Archdeacon of the East Riding, resigned his Church of England posts and joined the Catholic Church. Robert was the second son of William Wilberforce. Of William Wilberforce’s 4 sons, 3 converted to Catholicism and Samuel Wilberforce Bishop of Oxford, then Winchester, was an extreme Anglo-Catholic.
On 7th September 1866, Bull lightship in the Humber was struck by the Prussian barque Emma Johanna and damaged, holed below the water-line. It was taken to Victoria Dock, Hull for repairs by Hull Trinity House.
On 14th May 1595, George Wharton, 12, left Londesborough to work at Gray’s Inn, London for 9 months; he then became a student at Caius College, Cambridge. His mother had died 3 years before, since when he had lived with his uncle, the Earl of Cumberland, at Londesborough. He never succeeded to the title, as he died in a duel aged 24.
On 14th May 1917, James Smith, 30, chief engineer of the Hull trawler Bel Lilly, was lost with all hands North East of Peterhead due to enemy action.
On 14th May 1941, Hull Municipal Kitchens ended a week in which they had served 350k meals, after Hull’s worst bombing, and this despite the destruction of all stocks of food delivered by the Ministry of Food, and of a number of Emergency Feeding Centres.