On 9th March 1767, Beverley Coroner’s Court jury found (James?) Brown, aged 30, guilty of poisoning his wife, aged 45 and of independent means. Brown appears to have escaped to London, but was arrested and found guilty, his sentence commuted to 7 years’ transportation.
On 9th March 1801, at the request of the Admiralty, Hull Trinity House sent 12 Hull men as North Sea pilots to support the naval force at Yarmouth preparing to attack Copenhagen.
On 9th March 1858, servant Sarah West was overtaken by a severe snowstorm at Newbald Wold whilst returning from a visit to her parents in Market Weighton; she was under a snowdrift for 2 days, but was discovered by a shepherd and nursed back to health.
On 9th March 1984, Christopher Laverack, aged 9, of Anlaby, disappeared from his sister’s home, and his body was found in Beverley Beck 2 days later. It was not until 2012 that the murder enquiry was closed, when police identified his uncle, Melvyn Read, as the killer. Read had died in 2008.
On 16th January 1518, John Frost of Twing on the Wold (presumably modern Thwing) claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for debt.
On 16th January 1537, John Hallam and about 20 men entered Hull on market day, planning to seize the town and re-start the Pilgrimage of Grace. Hallam was betrayed by a man called Fowberry of Newbald, and arrested.
On 16th January 1642, William Cavendish, Earl of Newcastle, was appointed by King Charles I as the Governor of Hull, but the Parliament’s choice of Hotham prevailed with the support of the Mayor and aldermen.
On 4th July 1399, Henry Bolingbroke (later Henry IV) landed at Ravenspurn from France with 60 men, and was joined by the Earls of Northumberland (Percy) and Westmoreland (Neville), to claim the throne from Richard II. Photo shows memorial in Easington church.
On 4th July 1524, William Richerdson, husbandman, of North Newbald claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for the ‘murderation’ of Anthony Godsale, husbandman of Newbald.
On 4th July 1597, William Anlaby or Andleby, a Catholic convert born in Etton, returned to UK as a priest after training in France. He ministered to Catholic prisoners in Hull. Executed at York as a Catholic missionary priest. Beatified by the Catholic church in 1929.
On 4th July 1642, Sir John Hotham, aware that the Royalists surrounded Hull and had tried to cut off the fresh water supply, gave orders to open the sluices and cut the Humber banks in Drypool and Myton, outside the walls. He told farmers to bring their cattle and goods into the town. Hull was virtually unassailable.
On 4th July 1643, after defeat by the Royalists at Adwalton Moor, Sir Thomas Fairfax retreated to the only Parliamentary stronghold left in Yorkshire, Hull, just a few days after Hotham’s arrest.
On 17th June 1763, it was the 3rd day of Beverley Races, held on Westood, between the Newbald and Walkington roads. On each morning a cock fight was held for a prize of 4 guineas, 40 to the overall winner. An assembly was held every night at the new Assembly Rooms. In Whitsun Week 1765, the Races were held on the Hurn for the first time. In 1769, a stand was built. photo shows modern racecourse.
On 17th June 1987, St Andrews C of E Junior High School, Sutton, was broken into over night. Some damage to windows and the video security case badly damaged.
On 17th June 2017, David Lonsdale won the first ever Hull Hnefatafl Tournament against Steve Lonsdale at Hull & East Yorkshire Museum. The board game was developed by the Vikings, and pieces have been excavated in Hull.