On 17th April 1595, a week after the birth of Frances Clifford at Londesborough House, her parents gave a feast for 70 people, including friends and family and local people; the menu included caviar, 11 types of fish, lamprey pies, turbot pies, eel, mutton, chicken and rabbit, salad, cheesecake and fruit tart and custard.
On 17th April 1627, army deserter Richard Towler was taken under escort to Hull with orders to either rejoin the forces heading for Germany from which he had deserted, or be returned to York as a prisoner. 1,350 soldiers had sailed from Hull in 1626 to support the King of Denmark in the Thirty Years War.
On 17th April 1797, Hull Trinity House paid £1 5 shillings to William Taylor and Robert Masgill, of the ship Jupiter, which had been captured by the French.
On 17th April 1803, George Wallis, aged 73, died in Hull. Hull’s most prominent locksmith, he created a collection of arms and armour, and opened what may have been Hull’s first museum. His painting can be seen in Wilberforce House. His son George invented a swivel-mounted harpoon gun for the whaling trade. (b 20.4.1731 in Lockington).
On 17th April 1878, George Herbert Stancer, was born in Pocklington. He was a sports journalist and administrator of cycling associations. He beat the record for a tandem tricycle ride from London to Brighton in 1910 (with L.S. Leake) in 5hrs 59mins 51secs. He was awarded the OBE, Died October 1962.
On 20th December 1584, Rev John Lothropp was born and baptised in Etton. He became a Congregationalist minister, was imprisoned and released on condition he did not preach or hold meetings. He took some of his congregation with him to America and is considered one of the first American spiritual leaders.
On 20th December 1661, an Act of Parliament was passed to separate the church and parish of Holy Trinity, Hull from Hessle, setting out the responsibility of the town for assessing and collecting a rate from which they should pay the vicar £100 a year.
On 20th December 1830, the Mayor of Hull started a collection for Greenland whalers and their families, after a disastrous season of ship losses and low catches.
On 24th November 1299, King Edward I visited the Collegiate Society of St John, Beverley, and was entertained for 3 days.
On 24th November 1835, Mrs Jane Legard created the Etton Lying-In Charity by her will, providing maternity articles and food for new mothers – so long as they had been married at least 9 months.
On 24th November 1906, John Dunham, 53, train driver and Edward Booth, 25, fireman, of Hull, died in a rail accident at Ulleskelf , which led to railway safety improvements. photo – Western General Cemetery, Hull
On 4th July 1399, Henry Bolingbroke (later Henry IV) landed at Ravenspurn from France with 60 men, and was joined by the Earls of Northumberland (Percy) and Westmoreland (Neville), to claim the throne from Richard II. Photo shows memorial in Easington church.
On 4th July 1524, William Richerdson, husbandman, of North Newbald claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for the ‘murderation’ of Anthony Godsale, husbandman of Newbald.
On 4th July 1597, William Anlaby or Andleby, a Catholic convert born in Etton, returned to UK as a priest after training in France. He ministered to Catholic prisoners in Hull. Executed at York as a Catholic missionary priest. Beatified by the Catholic church in 1929.
On 4th July 1642, Sir John Hotham, aware that the Royalists surrounded Hull and had tried to cut off the fresh water supply, gave orders to open the sluices and cut the Humber banks in Drypool and Myton, outside the walls. He told farmers to bring their cattle and goods into the town. Hull was virtually unassailable.
On 4th July 1643, after defeat by the Royalists at Adwalton Moor, Sir Thomas Fairfax retreated to the only Parliamentary stronghold left in Yorkshire, Hull, just a few days after Hotham’s arrest.