On 27th October 1720, Ann Watson, nee Headon, of White House, Stoneferry, left her estate at Stoneferry for a hospital for widows or daughters of clergymen, old maids, and for a school. In Sutton she left 26s p.a. to distribute bread to the poor who attended divine service that day. She left several other bequests in different parishes; Ann Watson Street is later named for her; she is buried in Hedon, and has memorials there and in St James Church, Sutton.
On 27th October 1849, Hull Trinity House purchased chalkstone to protect the Spurn lifeboat cottages from the sea, as high tides and gravel extraction had greatly damaged the Point.
On 27th October 1907, Charles Henry Wilson died aged 74 at Warter Priory. Son of the founder of the Wilson Line, he was MP for Hull, then Hull West, a JP, and High Sheriff of Hull. He paid for the Seaman’s Mission in Posterngate (now the Mission pub). Deputy Lieutenant of the East Riding, he became the 1stLord Nunburnholme in 1906. photo shows part of his memorial in Warter church.
On 27th August 1473, John Warter’s ship Nicholas left Hedon with exports belonging to 14 different merchants, mostly wool and sheepskins. The tax record does not indicate where the ship travelled to. photo shows the Hedon ship design, found in St Augustine’s church.
On 27th August 1586, Daniell Morton was arrested for attempting to travel overseas against government order, and was retained in custody in Hull until further order.
On 27th August 1643, Lord Ferdinando Fairfax, Governor of Hull, ordered that Royalist sympathisers (termed malignants) have their property seized to support Parliament’s cause.
On 27th August 1902, Trooper H.B. Adamson, and Sergeant T. Burn were soldiers returning home to Hornsea from the Boer War. They were greeted by large crowds, the Town Band and a detachment of the Artillery Volunteers, and paraded round the town in a carriage. Sadly, Trooper E. Dabb arrived 4 days later unexpectedly and without ceremony.
On 27th August 1940, Mrs Spetch’s cottage at Mappleton was severely damaged by an enemy bomb, which also destroyed several windows in the church. The cottage site is now occupied by the Maple Garage.
On 25th July each year a traditional football match was held on St James Day, between Sutton and Wawne, starting at Foredyke bridge, boundary between the 2 villages, each village trying to get the ball home. Not known dates played or when abandoned.
On 25th July 1328, King Edward III is said to have closed down the Warter annual fair on St James Feast Day because of the number of murders that had been committed at the fair. There is a record that in 1300 certain manslaughters had been committed in the village by the canons’ men from Warter Priory. In 1328, King Edward III issued an order that it was an offence to go armed into any fair or market. Probably not aimed specifically at Warter.
On 25th July 1768, Joseph Hall was hanged at York Castle for coining at Hull. photo shows medieval coins being made.
On 25th July 1873, William Dunwell, former Hull Trinity House School pupil, lost his life at sea by jumping overboard to save the life of a shipmate.
On 25th July 1911, Father Ottway, superintendant at the Yorkshire Catholic Reformatory at Market Weighton (actually in Holme on Spalding Moor) reported on rebellion from the boys, including threats to knife masters, which resulted in the attendance of 3 police officers and the thrashing of 6 or 7 boys.