February 4th

On 4th February 1516, John Holme, labourer, of Ottringham, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John ‘for divers felonies’.

On 4th February 1634, William Kitching, 39, of Little Driffield, and 9 other men, were hanged at York for rioting at Hull about corn, for demolishing the dwellinghouse of Edward Cooper, and for stealing clothes. None of those convicted were from Hull.

On 4th February 1783, Hull Trinity House accepted the proposal of Mr Blaydes of Hull to build a yacht for £500; they used the yacht Humber for 23 years.

On 4th February 1809, Ebenezer Bettison and 2 others, of Hull, drowned during a storm when going in a boat to secure a lighter which appeared to be in danger.

On 4th February 1821, Thomas Wilkinson Wallis was born in Hull. The son of a cabinet maker, he became a wood carver. He was a pprenticed to Thos Ward in Waterworks St, Hull, and trained at the Mechanics Institute. His work can be found in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London. photo shows one of his carvings

On 4th February 1900, Sir Leo Schultz (Joseph Leopold Schultz) was born in Hull. He was  the Leader of Hull City Council from 1945-79. Was awarded the OBE in 1946 for war work, including as an air raid warden, and for his campaign to provide all households with a bomb shelter. He was knighted in 1966 for services to local government. Honorary Doctor of Law Hull University 1979. d 1991. photo above

On 4th February 1968, Hull trawler Ross Cleveland capsized and sank with all but 1 of the 20 crew. An enquiry concluded the ship was unable to cope with ice build-up. The wreckage was located in 2002.

St Andrews Dock memorial

December 14th

Ebberston Yorks Aelfrids Memorial

 

On 14th December 704, the Anglo Saxon Chronicle records, King Aldfrith of Northumbria died in battle at Ebberston and was buried at Little Driffield. A man of great learning, educated for a career in the church, but he succeeded to the throne when his brother died. A memorial to him, called King Alfred’s Stone, is at Ebberston, North Yorks. Driffield may have been a royal seat of the Saxon kings. (sources vary as to his exact dates)

On 14th December 1610, an anonymous tinker was invited in to Londesborough House, home of the Earl of Cumberland, to mend broken pans and was paid 3s4d by the clerk of the kitchen.

On 14th December 1660, surgeon Joseph Thornnton was granted a licence to practice in Hull, after being invited to move from Great Horton, West Riding, to deal with a typhus outbreak. 18 people signed a testimonial to his effectiveness.

On 14th December 1775, Hull Corporation delegated its responsibility to provide a town dump to the official Town Scavenger; the condition of the Spring Ditch soon gave cause for concern, and in 1777 a bank was built to stop dung and rubbish entering the water.