On 15th January 1741, John Jenkinson of Hull was indicted at Hull Quarter Sessions for ‘laying his dirt at Beverley Gates’.
On the same day, Jeremiah Gibson was also indicted for ‘scattering dirt from the High Church (i.e. Holy Trinity) all the way to without Mytongates’.
On 15th January 1885, Thomas Escritt died aged 87 at Cranswick. Known as ‘the Bishop of Cranswick’, he was a powerful Primitive Methodist preacher. Each day for 60 years, on his walk to farm work at Burn Butts, he stopped at the same spot to pray for the people of Cranswick. It was said that no grass would grow on this spot, until the 1930s, when the airfield was built over it. photo shows view from Burn Butts
On 15th January 1993, Don Suddaby, Fellow Royal Institute of Chemistry, played himself in the film “Lorenzo’s Oil’, released on this date. Suddaby was an analytical chemist working for Croda International, Hull, who took on a challenge to find a formula for erucic acid to halt neurological damage. Suddaby died later in 1993.
On 14th December 704, the Anglo Saxon Chronicle records, King Aldfrith of Northumbria died in battle at Ebberston and was buried at Little Driffield. A man of great learning, educated for a career in the church, but he succeeded to the throne when his brother died. A memorial to him, called King Alfred’s Stone, is at Ebberston, North Yorks. Driffield may have been a royal seat of the Saxon kings. (sources vary as to his exact dates)
On 14th December 1610, an anonymous tinker was invited in to Londesborough House, home of the Earl of Cumberland, to mend broken pans and was paid 3s4d by the clerk of the kitchen.
On 14th December 1660, surgeon Joseph Thornnton was granted a licence to practice in Hull, after being invited to move from Great Horton, West Riding, to deal with a typhus outbreak. 18 people signed a testimonial to his effectiveness.
On 14th December 1775, Hull Corporation delegated its responsibility to provide a town dump to the official Town Scavenger; the condition of the Spring Ditch soon gave cause for concern, and in 1777 a bank was built to stop dung and rubbish entering the water.