September 15th

On 15th September 1415, Henry V issued a General Pardon to the Mayor and town of Hull.  It is not clear for what they were being pardoned, though it may have been a general relaxation of taxes in gratitude for providing soldiers – or ships – after his success at Agincourt.

On 15th September 1561, William Calverde rented from Hull Corporation land called Hurne Close in Myton, with the right to pasture 20 sheep in the Common Carr of Myton.

On 15th September 1636, Hull Corporation was warned to prevent seamen arriving from ports infected with plague from coming ashore. Hull was in the midst of a serious 3-year outbreak which began in 1635.

On 15th September 1636, James II turned out of office 11 of the 13 elected Hull aldermen, the Mayor, High Steward, Recorder and Town Clerk, and replaced them with his own choice. This put Marmaduke Lord Langdale, in the powerful position of Governor of the garrison and Recorder, backed by 1199 soldiers, billeted on the residents. In December that year, Langdale was himself ejected.

Marmaduke_Langdale2

On 15th September 1864, Crown Prince Umberto of Italy stayed overnight at the Beverley Arms, after attending the St Leger at Doncaster, and left to visit James Hall’s stud at Scorborough.

On 15th September 1948, Mr J.H. Wilson, 33, labourer-driver, employed by East Riding  Agricultural Committee, was badly injured when he drove a lorry across a temporary rail crossing at Garton on the Wolds. The lorry was wrecked by a train, killing 3 Polish and Hungarian workers, and injuring another 4. The workers were people displaced by WW2, who were travelling to a Garton farm to help with the harvest. An enquiry recommended steps to improve the crossing.

September 2nd

On 2nd September 1643, the Royalists under the Earl of Newcastle began the second siege of Hull. The Governor, Lord Ferdinand Fairfax, sold silver to the value of £400 4s to Hull Trinity House, in order to pay his soldiers. Trinity House sold the silver the following year at a slight profit.

On 2nd September 1861, the lease on Fishwicks’ Mill, butt Lane, Beverley, had expired, and the mill was demolished. The Council tried to repossess the land, but local people considered it to be common land, and 25-30 rioters destroyed the house and burnt it to the ground.

On 2nd September 1871, William (Billy) Ringrose was born in Ganton, where he became a carpenter, but was coached by a cricket professional employed by the Legard family at the Hall, and became a renowned professional cricketer, playing for 57 games for Yorkshire.

On 2nd September 1922, Hull Kingston Rovers played its first game at its new ground, Craven Park, losing 3-0 to Wakefield. The new grounds also had 14 tennis courts, and meeting rooms. The official opening did not take place until November. This was the club’s 4thground, the first 2 being in West Hull.

On 2nd September 1950, MV Dundalk Bay arrived in Hull from Mombasa, bringing 1,014 people displaced by WW2. After processing, they were dispersed to various camps throughout the UK. Many Poles, Latvians, Lithuanians and others unable to return to their homes came to find work and settle in England; some emigrated again to Canada.

On 2nd September 1967, the Flamborough lifeboat Friendly Forester rescued 6 people cut off by the tide.

Old Craven Park EAW207783