On 2nd September 1643, the Royalists under the Earl of Newcastle began the second siege of Hull. The Governor, Lord Ferdinand Fairfax, sold silver to the value of £400 4s to Hull Trinity House, in order to pay his soldiers. Trinity House sold the silver the following year at a slight profit.
On 2nd September 1861, the lease on Fishwicks’ Mill, butt Lane, Beverley, had expired, and the mill was demolished. The Council tried to repossess the land, but local people considered it to be common land, and 25-30 rioters destroyed the house and burnt it to the ground.
On 2nd September 1871, William (Billy) Ringrose was born in Ganton, where he became a carpenter, but was coached by a cricket professional employed by the Legard family at the Hall, and became a renowned professional cricketer, playing for 57 games for Yorkshire.
On 2nd September 1922, Hull Kingston Rovers played its first game at its new ground, Craven Park, losing 3-0 to Wakefield. The new grounds also had 14 tennis courts, and meeting rooms. The official opening did not take place until November. This was the club’s 4thground, the first 2 being in West Hull.
On 2nd September 1950, MV Dundalk Bay arrived in Hull from Mombasa, bringing 1,014 people displaced by WW2. After processing, they were dispersed to various camps throughout the UK. Many Poles, Latvians, Lithuanians and others unable to return to their homes came to find work and settle in England; some emigrated again to Canada.