On 10th June 1402, John Tutbury, Mayor of Hull, was granted a licence, with William Tyrry (Terry) and their companions, to profit from the seizure of goods aboard a Prussian ship heading for Scotland which they took ‘in the king’s service’. These days, we would call it piracy. When it became clear the ship they took had actually been transporting provisions to Henry’s troops in Berwick, Tutbury and Terry were ordered to pay compensation to the owners.
On 10th June 1708, Adam Alvin, manservant, murdered his employer, the Owthorne vicar, Enoch Sinclare, with a spade, and later married Sinclare’s niece Mary; they later moved to Lincolnshire to run a public house. The body was not found for 4 years, when Mary’s sister revealed the concealed body. Alvin was tried, found guilty and hanged at York. Sinclare’s body, in a lead coffin, was one of those which fell into the sea, and was reinterred in the churchyard, which itself later fell into the sea.
On 10th June 1913, the Assembly Rooms, Seaside Road, Withernsea, were destroyed in a fire; the area became a skating rink, and later a fun fair and amusements.
On 7th June 1614, Francis Clifford, Earl of Cumberland, of Londesborough House, paid for the apprenticeship of his scullery-maid Grace. He trained in London as a barber-surgeon for 7 years, and the Earl continued to support him when he had to transfer employers, as his first employer killed a man (perhaps in the course of treatment).
On 7th June 1672, the residents of Sister-Kirks (Owthorne and Withernsea) reported hearing the sound of the naval battle of Solebay, off the coast of Suffolk. A fleet of 75 Dutch ships surprised a fleet of 93 Anglo-French ships at anchor.
On 7th June 1796, Sir Henry Etherington laid the foundation stone of Hull Anti-Mill, to provide cheaper flour. An early co-operative, it was funded by subscription by poor residents finding the price of flour beyond their reach.
On 7th June 1837, the Union steam packet was in the Humber basin, Hull, Preparing to cross the Humber, when it exploded. 3 other ferries were next to it; 23 people died. The engineer was later charged, but not convicted.
On 7th June 1915, Vere Campey Marshall made a statement to police, stating that he witnessed a 1,000 strong crowd outside the premises of Kress and Wagner, 163/5 Spring Bank, throwing stones, and a girl using a hammer to break a window. Police and military were sent to guard the premises. Anti-German feeling was strong during WW1.