On 1st September 1505, John and Thomas Mudd of Tunstall claimed sanctuary in the church of St Cuthbert for homicide, stating that on 1.8.1505, in self-defence, they had struck Henry Raw also of Tunstall on the head with a pikestaff, giving him a blow from which he died on 30.8.1505. On 2.9.1505 Oliver Mudd and John Mudd jnr (son of John) also sought sanctuary as accessories to the homicide, having been present when the first 2 struck Henry.
On 1st September 1512, Ralph Thorneton, a smith, of Rise, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for debt.
On 1st September 1784, Hull General Infirmary charity officially opened a hospital with 70 beds in Prospect Street, a site chosen for its fresh country air. The 3 physicians and 3 surgeons provided their services free. In its centenary year, Queen Victoria agreed to a change of name to Hull Royal Infirmary.
On 1st September 1800, John Batman lost his place at Hull Charterhouse ‘on account of his immoral and disorderly conduct and of the great expences (sic) which the Town have sustained by the maintenance of his bastard children’.