On 16th November 1503, Elizabeth of York, Duchess of Suffolk, died, aged 58. She was married to John de la Pole, 2ndDuke of Suffolk. The lands she held in Hull and Myton reverted to the Crown, and in 1514 Henry VIII gave them to William Sidney, buying them back in 1539 to build his fortifications in the town. She held 1,000 acres of land, including meadow, pasture, 100 dwelling houses, a mansion and gardens and the patronage of the Charterhouse.
On 16th November 1857, ‘A Dissenter’ issued a campaign leaflet encouraging religious dissenters to oppose plans by the Church of England to close down the school run by the Leonard Chamberlain Charity, the trustees of which were all dissenters. The writer estimated that 1/3 of Hessle people were not CofE members. The school remained open for a further 45 years.
On 16th November 1918, PC244 Harry Burgess filed a statement at Hull Central Police Station, reporting on 3 US sailors and 1 American soldier being followed by a large crowd. The Americans used obscene language, threatened to fight, and refused to go to their billets. Police escorted them to the Grosvenor Hotel, guarded the gate and dispersed the crowd, who accused the Americans of attacking British and Canadian soldiers. The US commander later ordered his men, based at Killingholme US Naval Air Station, not to visit Hull without orders.
On 16th November 2017, Queen Elizabeth II visited Hull and met some of the City of Culture volunteers, had lunch with the Bee Lady among others, visited Siemens, and the new Allam Medical Centre at Hull University.
On 9th November 1309, King Edward II visited his Royal park in Burstwick, his main residence in the north. Piers Gaveston was Lord of Holderness.
On 9th November 1487, John de la Pole senior, Duke of Suffolk, was stripped of most of his property and estates as a result of his son’s rebellion (the Earl of Lincoln) in support of Lambert Simnel.
On 9th November 1488, John Fernell, yeoman, of Asselby, killed Thomas Rodley with a staff, and then made his way to Beverley, where on 17.11 he claimed the sanctuary of the church of St John, and admitted the homicide.
On 9th November 1906, Capt Stensen and 5 crew of a Norwegian schooner carrying timber stranded at Withernsea in a gale. There were no casualties.
On 9th November 1916, Private Herbert Neal, 24, former Reckitt’s employee in the lead mill was killed in action with the East Yorkshire Regiment and is buried in Bazentin-le-petit, Somme, France. 2 of his brothers also served in the war, and only 1 survived to return home to Church St, Hull.
On 9th November 1923, Sir Henry Wood, originator of the Proms, made his first appearance as conductor of the Hull Philharmonic Orchestra, originally for one concert only. He stayed for 15 years, travelling from London to work with amateur musicians for a considerably reduced fee. An earlier contact with Hull was 1906 when Ethel Leginska performed for him in London.
On 18th September 1415, Michael de la Pole, 2nd Earl of Suffolk, died of disease at Harfleur during Henry V’s military campaign. (Dysentery was a frequent cause of death on military campaigns) He was succeeded by his son Michael, who died in battle at Agincourt.
On 18th September 1470, John de Ferriby in his will left 2 silver salt cellars to the parsons and vicars of Beverley, on condition that they pray every day for his soul.
On 18th September 1664, Theophilus Garlike was found by a Hull jury in the inquest into the death of Gervase Dighton to have killed him in a duel; both men were soldiers in Colonel Gilby’s Company (Dighton a corporal, Garlike a sergeant).
On 18th September 1789, George Thompson, BA, was ordained 27 years after serving as curate in Hollym, Withernsea, Sutton and Wawne, he finally became vicar of St Peter’s, Wawne. He brought in many changes to the music in the church, including the use of fiddles and a singing master to teach new hymns, possibly because of the advances the Methodists were making at this time.
On 5th September 1389, Sir Michael de la Pole died aged 59. 1stBaron de la Pole, later 1stEarl of Suffolk. Appointed English Lord Chancellor in 1383. He founded the Carthusian Monastery which became Hull Charterhouse. Disgraced, he fled to Paris in 1388.
On 5th September 1811, Benjamin Byron (or Byrom) MD died in Hull; as physician he had chambers at Mr Frith’s, plumber, Silver Street, where ‘consultations were free to the poor on Tuesdays and Fridays 10a.m. to 3p.m.’