On 15th March 1471, King Edward IV’s army regrouped at Kilnsea, but met resistance in Holderness, with 6,000 men led by Sir John Westerdale, vicar of Keyingham, and/or Martin de la See, Lord of Barmston; Westerdale was later imprisoned in the Marshalsea. Edward was allowed to pass to Hull, where Mayor John Tutbury shut the gates and refused to let him in. From there Edward proceeded to York via Beverley.
On 15th March 1618, the 1strecorded Kiplingcotes Derby was run; it is said to date back to 1519. The winner receives £50, but the 2ndreceives the sum of the entry fees, which may be much more. Even in wartime, severe weather or foot and mouth outbreaks, at least 1 horse has completed the course to ensure the continuity of the event. In 2018, due to flooding, one rider walked the course. Race rules state that if the race is not run one year, it must never be run again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJu7HI3SXIc
On 15th March 1783, Thomas Perronet Thompson was born in Hull. He was an anti-slavery activist, MP, businessman, soldier, author and first governor of Sierra Leone (d 6.9.1869)
On 15th March 1979, Helen Grocock, 13 years, failed to win the Kiplingcotes Derby when her pony collapsed and died a few yards from the finishing post.
On 15th March 2001, Farmer Stephen Crawford was the only participant in the Kiplingcotes Derby, due to foot and mouth disease. Course clerk Sue Hillaby appealed to people to stay away.
On 24th October 1530, at a Coroner’s inquest in Hutton Cranswick over the body of William Aunderson, the jurors reported that John Adayll, a labourer from Driffield, had on 23.10.1530 around 4p.m. assaulted him, with precogitated malice, with an iron fork, killing him instantly. Adayll immediately fled, with the townspeople of Hutton Cranswick pursuing him from town to town, but he escaped to ‘the privilege of Beverley’. Adayll does not appear in the sanctuary register for Beverley, though.
On 24th October 1850, John Branton, lifeboatman, drowned when the lifeboat overturned during the rescue of the brig Cumberland in the Humber near Kilnsea; John Welburn, the mate, was injured and died in 1852 from his injuries. The 9 members of the brig’s crew were rescued. An appeal raised £37 11s 6d for Branton’s widow and 6 children, and the RNLI added £5.
On 13th June 1774, the Hedon Haven Commissioners held their first meeting to create a canal between Hedon and the Humber, so that goods could reach Hedon at all times of the tide. The 44 Commissioners (including 3 knights, 4 clerics, and merchants such as Samuel Standidge, Benjamin Blaydes and Henry Maister) had powers of compulsory purchase of land and to prosecute anyone who obstructed navigation. The canal was opened in December 1775.
On 13th June 1893, William Maclagan, Archbishop of York, visited Spurn in a small boat, saw the lifeboat station, school and lighthouse, and agreed to provide weekly religious services at Spurn. He then walked 31/2 miles to Kilnsea before continuing to Patrington by carriage.
On 13th June 1943, Withernsea Central School teacher Miss Longdon r.eported in the school log that incendiary bombs fell on the school, burnt out Classroom 8 and caused ‘holes in the hall and on the platform’. Some classes had to be accommodated in the Methodist Chapel.