On 15th January 1741, John Jenkinson of Hull was indicted at Hull Quarter Sessions for ‘laying his dirt at Beverley Gates’.
On the same day, Jeremiah Gibson was also indicted for ‘scattering dirt from the High Church (i.e. Holy Trinity) all the way to without Mytongates’.
On 15th January 1885, Thomas Escritt died aged 87 at Cranswick. Known as ‘the Bishop of Cranswick’, he was a powerful Primitive Methodist preacher. Each day for 60 years, on his walk to farm work at Burn Butts, he stopped at the same spot to pray for the people of Cranswick. It was said that no grass would grow on this spot, until the 1930s, when the airfield was built over it. photo shows view from Burn Butts
On 15th January 1993, Don Suddaby, Fellow Royal Institute of Chemistry, played himself in the film “Lorenzo’s Oil’, released on this date. Suddaby was an analytical chemist working for Croda International, Hull, who took on a challenge to find a formula for erucic acid to halt neurological damage. Suddaby died later in 1993.
On 6th June 1597, Robert Hewitt and his 6 musicians played for the first time at Londesborough House for Sir Francis and Lady Grissell Clifford, and regularly performed there for a number of years. They played shawms (like an oboe), curtals (like a bassoon), sackbuts (an early trombone) and the virginal (an early spinet). At different times, pipers, harpers, drama companies and a jester were hired.
On 6th June 1651, George Fox, Quaker preacher, proclaimed his Quaker beliefs in reply to the sermon at Beverley Minster; the next day he went another church 2 miles away, then to Cranswick, staying with John Hotham (grandson of the late governor of Hull).
On 6th June 1757, the vicar of Hutton Cranswick recorded a fall of snow.
On 6th June 1812, Hull Botanic Gardens were opened; the Band of the Royal Denby Militia played at the opening ceremony (they were based at the fort, as the Napoleonic Wars were still in progress).
On 6th June 1915, Hull residents sheltered under stairs and tables when they received an hour’s warning of the first Zeppelin attack on Hull. There were 11 deaths. Hewetson’s saw mill was destroyed. (other sources says 26 dead, 60 injured)
On 16th May 1478, Robert Bilton, husbandman, from Hutton Cranswick, sought sanctuary in the Collegiate Church of St John (now the Minster) for the homicide of Thomas Mathyn at Cranswick.
On 16th May 1678, Christopher Richardson, Hull surgeon, apothecary and alderman, was refused permission to stand down as alderman, even after agreeing to pay a fine of £75. Aged 65, he continued to attend Corporation meetings until his death in 1702. Had previously been Sheriff of Hull (1665) and Mayor twice (1660 and 1678).
On 16th May 1917, former Reckitt’s employeed Private Thomas Samuel Taylor was killed in action, serving with 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers. No known grave.
On 16th May 1941, one of the worst nights of bombing saw 57 dead in East Hull, including 50 in the Ellis Terrace air raid shelter, which took a direct hit. 20 others were injured in Holderness Road, Hedon Road and Alexandra Dock.
On 16th May 1952, Hammond’s new Ferensway store opened to replace the building bombed during WW2. In the ’Celebration offers’, oak dining tables were on sale for £7 10s. photo shows the old building during the war.