January 28th

On 28th January 1450, William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk, was arrested and imprisoned for treason. King Henry VI saved him from execution and banished him for 5 years. On his way to Calais, he was captured and reportedly had his head cut off with a rusty sword.

On 28th January 1515, William Jakson of Belby, near Howden, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for the murder of John (rest of name blank in the register).

On 28th January 1525, Robert Smyth, husbandman of Anlaby, claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for the murder of Robert Ekopp alias Hikkopp.

On 28th January 1700, Abraham de la Pryme, curate of Holy Trinity, Hull, reported of Swine that: ‘the town has formerly been very large and handsome, … though it is very mean and inconsiderable, nobody inhabiting the same but a few country clowns’.

On 28th January 1829, William Hurr of Roos was admitted to the Sculcoates Refuge for Pauper Lunatics; on 21 July that year his funeral is recorded.

minster - frith stool.JPG

September 16th

On 16th September 1643, an artilleryman with a lighted match blew up the magazine at Hull North blockhouse and killed himself and 4 others.

On 16th September 1698, Robert Prudom established, and was the first pastor of, the first Baptist chapel in East Yorkshire. The building in Applegarth Lane, Bridlington is only 12 feet square. see photo

On 16th September 1829, Dr John Alderson, MD died aged 71, physician to Hull Infirmary from 1795. A polymath, he was one of the founders of the Hull Literary and Philosophical Society, and of the London Geological Society, wrote acclaimed works on fever and paralysis, established Sculcoates Refuge, (which eventually became De la Pole Hospital), and wrote on agriculture, geology, and supernatural apparitions. The funeral of this popular doctor attracted 12-15,000 mourners. He was buried in a family vault at St Mary’s Sculcoates. His statue can be seen on Anlaby Road. (b 1758 Lowestoft)

On 16th September 1846, George Hudson, MP and ‘railway king’ stayed overnight at Sutton on Hull, went to Bridlington Quay for breakfast, back to Hull, then travelled to Northampton. Joseph Robinson Pease marvelled that such a journey within 13 hours would have been unthinkable 20 years before.

Applegarth La chapel