September 16th

On 16th September 1643, an artilleryman with a lighted match blew up the magazine at Hull North blockhouse and killed himself and 4 others.

On 16th September 1698, Robert Prudom established, and was the first pastor of, the first Baptist chapel in East Yorkshire. The building in Applegarth Lane, Bridlington is only 12 feet square. see photo

On 16th September 1829, Dr John Alderson, MD died aged 71, physician to Hull Infirmary from 1795. A polymath, he was one of the founders of the Hull Literary and Philosophical Society, and of the London Geological Society, wrote acclaimed works on fever and paralysis, established Sculcoates Refuge, (which eventually became De la Pole Hospital), and wrote on agriculture, geology, and supernatural apparitions. The funeral of this popular doctor attracted 12-15,000 mourners. He was buried in a family vault at St Mary’s Sculcoates. His statue can be seen on Anlaby Road. (b 1758 Lowestoft)

On 16th September 1846, George Hudson, MP and ‘railway king’ stayed overnight at Sutton on Hull, went to Bridlington Quay for breakfast, back to Hull, then travelled to Northampton. Joseph Robinson Pease marvelled that such a journey within 13 hours would have been unthinkable 20 years before.

Applegarth La chapel