On 6th August 1778, the question of who owned Spurn Point was resolved in favour of the William Constable of Burton Constable; the legal dispute began in 1609.
On 6th August 1785, John Beck of Lelley was hanged at York Castle for setting fire to a house and corn mill belonging to William Jackson of Danthorpe, with Robert Crosby and John Edwards, also of Lelley; Edwards and Crosby escaped.
On 6th August 1859, John Riley, 36, of Hull, was hanged at York Castle for the murder of his wife, Alice.
On 6th August 1888, former Trinity House School pupil George Smith, age 15, drowned after a collision between the Barque Cambrian and a French Barque during a great storm in Valparaiso harbour.
On the same day, a Bank Holiday Monday, a popular trip out from Hull Corporation Pier was to Paull by boat to watch the Army’s Submarine Miners in training and holding boat races and athletic competitions. Several boats left the Pier during the day.
On 27th July 1643, Hull widow Ann Stevenson, whose husband died at Beverley in Parliament’s service as a cannoneer, petitioned the town of Hull to pay her the 35 shillings wages due to him; the committee agreed, in view of her poverty, to let her have 20s.
On 27th July 1782, Rev George Lambert of Fish Street, Hull reported in his diary on a violent thunderstorm in the evening, and lightning killed a cow very near their house, and scorched the hedges.
On 27th July 1796, jockey George Heron was thrown by his horse at Hull racecourse, Newington, and killed.
On 27th July 1855, James McLoughlin, aged 13, asked Hull Magistrates Court for the protection of the court on account of his mother having beaten him severely with a stick and a fire poker because he would not go out stealing for her.
On 27th July 1996, HMS Rose visited Hull’s Albert Dock; this was an exact replica of a frigate built in Hull by the Blaydes yard in 1757 and sunk in Savannah, Georgia in 1779. The only difference from the original ship was that the sails were made from recycled plastic bottles.
On 30th May 1778, Frank Slaiter returned to work at Escrick Hall 4 ½ months after breaking his thigh at work. His employer, Beilby Thompson, paid his medical fees, and gave him an allowance of 2/3 his normal wage while he was off sick.
On 30th May 1782, Rev George Lambert and Mr Towers began a journey to London with a ferry crossing of the Humber, which took 3 hours; it took from 11a.m. to the evening to reach Lincoln by coach. They arrived in London about 50 hours after leaving Hull. This was probably typical for the time.
On 30th May 1820, William Bradley died aged 33 of tuberculosis in Market Weighton. Known as the Yorkshire Giant, he grew to 7’9”. Travelled with shows and fairs, and later charged visitors to his home. Was presented to King George III. (b 10.2.1787)
On 30th May 1859, a Hull Coroner’s Court jury returned a verdict of wilful murder against Isabella Hewson. On 27.5 she had hanged her son, aged 2, and then gave herself up to police. No evidence of insanity was found on medical examination.
On 30th May 1912, Brigadier Mark Sykes inspected the Yorkshire Catholic Reformatory, Market Weighton, and found lack of discipline, bullying, filth, poor food, lack of fire precautions and drill, and poor medical treatment. Recommended all staff but one be dismissed. The management of the school was changed later that year.