On 8th October 1536, Beverley men mustered on Westwood Low Green in response to the Lincolnshire rebellion against the Act of Dissolution. Elizabeth Stapleton encouraged them, despite the reluctance of her husband, and her brother-in–law William Stapleton became the rebels’ captain.
On 8th October 1643, Capt Strickland led a failed Royalist attack on Hull’s Hessle Gate, and was shot dead. Many of the attackers were killed.
On 8th October 1708, William Robinson died in Hull. Former Sheriff of Hull, donor of a hospital to Trinity House, left bread for 12 widows to be given each year on Christmas Day. They were required to go to his grave in Holy Trinity churchyard to receive their dole.
On 8th October 1805, Beverley corporation ordered that all rogues and vagabonds found wandering in the town must be apprehended and conveyed to a magistrate. A board showing this order can be seen in St Mary’s church loft.
On 8th October 1862, Hornsea businessman Joseph Armytage Wade turned the first sod with a silver trowel at a ceremony to mark the start of building the Hull to Hornsea Railway.
On 8th October 1874, George Wombwell visited Beverley on his way to Hull Fair; in Saturday Market he exhibited elephants, giraffes, a rhino, and big cats; other shows also stopped over in the town before going to Hull.
On 8th October 1929, Wm Jackson & Son Ltd opened their landmark store in Paragon Street, Hull, designed by Hull architects Gelder and Kitchen, with a cafeteria and restaurant on the first floor. After the war, when the fire-damaged property was repaired, a 3rd floor was added as a ballroom. This was to become one of the city’s most popular night-spots for many years.
On 8th October 1985, Clive Sullivan MBE died aged 42. 1st black captain of any British national sporting team. He played rugby league with both Hull and Hull Kingston Rovers during his career. Holds records for most tries in a career (250) and most tries in a match (7). Commemorated in Clive Sullivan Way and the Clive Sullivan Memorial Trophy.(b 9.4.1943 Cardiff)