On 12th February 1519, tailor William Bowman of Sewerby claimed anctuary in Flambrough parish church after assaulting William Johnson. At a coroner’s inquest at Bridlington 2 days later, the jurors reported that Bowman assaulted and killed Johnson with a staff on the king’s road between Sewerby and Bridlington, then fled to ‘Flaynburgh’. The King’s Bench declared Bowman an outlaw on 27.12.1519.
On 12th February 1556, in evidence given in court at York, Thomas Carter of Helperthorpe, 40, herdsman, made the first recorded reference to England’s oldest horse race, Kiplingcotes Derby.
On 12th February 1644, Sir William Constable of Flamborough led Parliamentary troops to capture the Royalist garrison at Bridlington, and took 159 prisoners. On their way back to Hull, they won a skirmish against the Royalists at Driffield.
On 12th February 1687, John Johnson, Rector of Cherry Burton recorded in his diary an earthquake at 3.45 on a Sunday afternoon.
On 22nd October 1517, John Cook, yeoman of Sewerby, claimed sanctuary after assaulting labourer Thomas Stowpes and fled to Flambrough church. This was not a registered place of sanctuary, but was called ‘taking church’. At a Coroner’s inquest at Sewerby on 5.11.1517, the jurors reported that Cook assaulted Stowpes on 22 Oct, giving him a wound from which he died 3 days later.
On 22nd October 1611, Lady Margaret Clifford, daughter of the Earl of Cumberland and Thomas Wentworth, future baronet, were married at All Saints, Londesborough. The Earl’s finances were not healthy, due to a protracted legal dispute with Lady Anne Clifford over his inheritance, so the celebrations were low-key, with only 40 in attendance, and a simple dinner of pasties, mince pies and turkey, a speciality of the estate. The artist Augustine Harrison was present, so that the Earl could present his 2 daughters with identical portraits of himself. photo shows Londesbrough church
On 22nd October 1882, William Butler, 16, 4thhand, was lost overboard from Hull trawler Sportsman in the North Sea.
On 22nd October 1972, the new Queen Elizabeth Dock container terminal was opened.