On 3rd October 1667, Mark Turington, Peter Gorbut, Christopher Gray & Jane Sansbie were fined at Patrington for having bad fences or fences in bad repair.
On 3rd October 1810, Rev George Lambert of Hull wrote in his diary: ‘times never were more alarming than the present. Failure, bankruptcies and suicide are taking place every day, and public credit shaken to its foundation. No man knows today what will be his circumstances tomorrow’.
On 3rd October 1821, Dr Raffles preached to 600 people on board the Valiant in Queen’s Dock, Hull, a new floating chapel bought by The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen. It was used for 28 years until the vessel was leaking and abandoned in 1850.
On 3rd October 1884, Elsie March, sculptor, painter and metalworker, was born in Sutton (or Old Hall, Burstwick?), one of 8 artist siblings born to foreman seed crusher George Henry March. Moved to Battersea 1901. With 5 of her brothers, created the Canadian War memorial in Ottawa completed in 1938. see photo (d 1974, Kent)
On 3rd October 1898, Ernst Adolf Powolny opened a restaurant in King Edward Street which became a Hull institution, providing high class food in opulent surroundings, as well as tea dances and catering for civic events. Closed temporarily by a fire in 1934, it finally closed after being destroyed by the Blitz on 8.5.1941. Known affectionately as ‘Polly’s’.