On 23rd August 1326, Richard Furnewes, barber to the Archbishop of York, was appointed to keep the park at Bishop Burton and the deer, at a salary of 2d per day.
On 23rd August 1601, Lord Burley, Queen’s Lieutenant and President of the Council of the North, visited Hull. His visit was marked with a firework display in the Market Place. Tragically, the cannon misfired, and at least 4 died, and several others were injured.
On 23rd August 1619, a woman bonesetter from South Dalton attended Londesborough House to treat Earl Francis’s shoulder, dislocated in a fall while out hawking. She was paid £1 5s for the treatment, which included 2 visits. (A physician might charge £2 a visit).
On 23rd August 1653, Robert Acklam was fined £5 by Hull Trinity House for taking the ship Blessing from Hull to London and from there crossing to Holland without the correct licence.
On 23rd August 1830, 60 farm workers rioted in Burton Pidsea, armed with clubs, scythes and stones, and visited every farmhouse where there were known to be Irish labourers, aiming to drive them out of the neighbourhood. 6 of them attacked Irish men working in a field belonging to Mr Baxter. The Hull Packet reported on 10.9. 1830 that the 6 ringleaders had been arrested and would be tried at the next Quarter Sessions in Beverley.
On 23rd August 1886, former Hull Trinity House pupil John Lester, aged 20, was killed by a fall from aloft on the Schooner Welsh Belle travelling from Hull to Newfoundland.
On 23rd August 1934, the Yorkshire Post reported on a cliff collapse along a 100-yard stretch at Aldbrough, which resulted in thousands of tons of material falling onto the beach, destroying the boat slipway. No-one was hurt. photo shows more recent erosion at Ulrome.