On 12th October 1536, 9,000 armed men from across East Yorkshire mustered on Market Weighton Hill as part of the Pilgrimage of Grace. Robert Aske led one group to York via Pocklington, and William Stapleton led a march on Hull, besieged it and captured it for the rebels. Holderness gentry Sir John Constable, Sir Wm Constable and Sir Ralph Ellerker had taken refuge in the town from the revolt.
On 12th October 1643, the Earl of Newcastle abandoned the 2ndsiege of Hull after 5 weeks and withdrew Royalist forces to York. To prevent pursuit, the Royalists destroyed bridges and roads and cut the banks of waterways as they retreated. The date was observed as a day of public thanksgiving in Hull until the Restoration.
On 12th October 1697, Robert Pattinson, Humber pilot, was fined 30shillings for damaging the ‘dolphin’ at the entrance to the River Hull while handling a vessel entering the Haven.
On 12th October 1767, Beverley gentleman John Courtney reported in his diary seeing a firework display for the first time, in the Market Place, paid for by subscription.
On 12th October 1896, at Hull Fair, one of the attrractions was the first showing in Hull of moving pictures, only 8 months after Louis Lumiere’s first performance, included scenes of Whitefriargate, the W’force Monument, the Corporation Pier, the Humber Ferry.
On 12th October 1933, Louis Armstrong performed at Beverley Road Baths, Hull, during his European Tour.
On 5th October 1643, Sir John Meldrum was sent by Parliament with troops and supplies to help in the defence of Hull from attack by the Royalists.
On 5th October 1801, the residents and business people of Pocklington resolved, at a meeting in the Black Bull Inn, to create a canal to serve the town. The war with the French may have delayed matters, as it was 14 years before a Bill was presented to Parliament and passed. photo shows the canal today
On 5th October 1931, Matthew Stirling died, aged 74 in Hull. Mechanical engineer, designer of locomotives for Hull & Barnsley Railway, many of his designs including his powerful H&BR Class A(LNER Class Q10) 0-8-0freight locomotives were heavily used during World War I. (Born 27.11.1856, Kilmarnock)
On 5th October 1945, Frederick Bryan, 50, 3rd hand, was lost with 8 shipmates when Hull trawler Grenada struck a mine (at 51 11N 8 10W).
On 26th September 1480, Elizabeth Beauwmont, gentlewoman of Hedon, and Robert Beauwmont, clerk of Almondbury, sought sanctuary in the church of St John, Beverley, for the death of Thomas Aldirlay of Almondbury, killed by them on 5 Oct 1479. (We do not know the relationship between the 2 )
On 26th September 1643, Col Oliver Cromwell and Lord Willoughby crossed the Humber to view the defence of Hull for themselves, and took some of the cavalry back with them, horses being of limited use in the besieged town.
On 26th September 1649, Marmaduke Richardson of Pocklington was hanged at York Castle for praying publicly before his sermon for Charles II, King of Scotland and heir apparent. (Prince of Wales).
On 26th September 1794, John Magnus, a Dane, was buried at Blacktoft after drowning in the Humber and washing up at Thornton Land.
On 26th September 1917, L/Cpl Thomas Edgar Borrill, 20, former Reckitt’s employee, died on active service with the Sherwood Foresters. He has no known grave.
On 25th May 1537, Dr James Cockerell, Prior of Guisborough, was hanged, drawn and quartered for his part in the Pilgrimage of Grace; he was vicar of Hessle from 1509-1519.
On 25th May 1693, Robert Jackson, under-keeper of the lighthouse at Spurn, locked himself in the lighthouse and secured the door when told a party of armed employees of Lord Dunbar (Lord of Holderness) were on their way to claim ownership. They undermined the walls and took Jackson prisoner to York Castle.
On 25th May 1770, the Driffield Canal Commissioners fully opened the new Driffield Canal, which gave the merchants of this then small hamlet access to the River Hull and the sea. Between 1784 and 1799, 6 warehouses were built at River Head, and new factories and cargo vessels used the canal. photo shows the canal today
On 25th May 1815, Parliament passed an Act to create the Pocklington Canal. Most of the subscribers were titled and/or landed gentry, but among those who bought shares at £100 were innkeepers, a blacksmith, saddler, grocer, and 4 single women (spinsters or widows).
On 25th May 1826, Mr Brown made a balloon ascent from Mr Thompson’s yard, Beverley, which was described as ‘splendid’. Winds took the balloon south west where it crash landed on the moors between Thorne and Crowle, Mr Brown sustaining an injury to his spine. He was able to travel to Sheffield for another balloon trip.