March 18th

On 18th March 1293, the name ‘Kingston upon Hull’  was first used by a jury called to value land in order to improve roads in the town which King Edward I had just purchased.

On 18th March 1708, the Hull Mayor and Chief Magistrates received a letter from the Council in the North instructing them to get all ‘dangerous or disaffected persons’ to sign an oath of allegiance to Queen Anne and to swear that Charles (Bonnie Prince Charlie) had no claim to the throne.

On 18th March 1859, John Sanderson was recruited to ‘work the Force Pump when necessary for the water closets’  at the Ladies Hospital, College St, Sutton-on-Hull. It seems the elderly residents found the pump too difficult to operate.

On 18th March 1924, Sir James Reckitt died in Hull aged 90. A businessman, JP, politician and philanthropist, he joined his father’s business, and created Garden Village as a model village for the company’s workers. Amongst his charitable works were contributions to Hull Royal Infirmary, Newland Homes for Seamen’s Children, the building of the city’s first public library, donated to the city, and the donation of Withernsea Convalescent Home to the Infirmary. He established the Sir James Reckitt Charity.  (b 15.11.1833)

jamesreckitt

October 26th

On 26th October 1515, Hull shoemaker William Baker claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for a felony (no details given)

On 26th October 1587, the wife of Dr Vavasour of Hesslewood & her 2 daughters died after being taken prisoner, (presumably in Hull Castle) with her 2 daughters, in 1581. She was questioned in 1576 about her failing to attend church. In 1578 her husband’s goods were seized to pay her fines.

On 26th October 1662, 7 poor residents of North Ferriby parish received money from the Poor Rate of between 1s and 2s every 4 weeks (presumably dependent on the number of children they had); of the 7, three were widows, one a single woman, and three men. Those 83 ratepayers who could afford to contribute paid between 2d and 15s a year.

On 26th October 1866, Lord Hotham officially opened the Sykes Monument, as a memorial to Sir Tatton Sykes (d 1863), the money being raised by subscription by local people. The monument is a local landmark, on Garton Hill, near Sledmere, and can be seen from many miles away.

On 26th October 1950, Garden Village (Hull) Ltd was dissolved after the death of Sir Philip Reckitt; rents had been held at 1914 levels.

 

Sledmere