On 16th May 1478, Robert Bilton, husbandman, from Hutton Cranswick, sought sanctuary in the Collegiate Church of St John (now the Minster) for the homicide of Thomas Mathyn at Cranswick.
On 16th May 1678, Christopher Richardson, Hull surgeon, apothecary and alderman, was refused permission to stand down as alderman, even after agreeing to pay a fine of £75. Aged 65, he continued to attend Corporation meetings until his death in 1702. Had previously been Sheriff of Hull (1665) and Mayor twice (1660 and 1678).
On 16th May 1917, former Reckitt’s employeed Private Thomas Samuel Taylor was killed in action, serving with 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers. No known grave.
On 16th May 1941, one of the worst nights of bombing saw 57 dead in East Hull, including 50 in the Ellis Terrace air raid shelter, which took a direct hit. 20 others were injured in Holderness Road, Hedon Road and Alexandra Dock.
On 16th May 1952, Hammond’s new Ferensway store opened to replace the building bombed during WW2. In the ’Celebration offers’, oak dining tables were on sale for £7 10s. photo shows the old building during the war.