On 15th June 1795, Hull Trinity House agreed to give £100 to the Mayor’s fund to buy corn and resell it to the poor at a discount, as war was causing food scarcities.
On 15th June 1911, due to financial difficulties, the Smith (Smijth) family put the whole of the Windham Estate at Wawne up for auction over 2 days. This included 12 farms, smallholdings, rows of cottages, the Ferry, the pub, post office, grocer’s, tailor’s, the school. Almost the whole village had to find new tenancies. The estate had been in the hands of the Ashe family and their successors since the 17thC.