July 1st

On 1st July 1643, cannoneer John Stevenson was buried in St Mary’s Beverley, having died in the town in a ‘great scrimmage’ in the Civil War (possibly the day before).

On 1st July 1801, Hull Subscription Mill Ltd opened to provide cheap flour to the poor of Hull, 3 years or so after the opening of Hull Anti-Mill, one of the first co-operatives in the country.

On 1st July 1830, the Hull whaler Eagle had been stuck in the ice of Baffin Bay for 5 days.   With the help of 200 men from nearby ships, Captain Matthew Wright and crew, were finally able to repair the keel and heave the ship upright again.

On 1st July 1903, Amy Johnson was born in St George’s Road, Hull. She went on to become the first woman to fly solo to Australia, and to break many aviation records. (d5.1.1941)

On 1st July 1918, Hull coroner Colonel Alfred Thorney held inquests on 2 early cases in the flu epidemic: Kate Denman, aged 11, daughter of a labourer of Hodgson Street, and Elsie Barton, aged 9, daughter of a soldier, of Arthur’s Terrace Courtney Street. Both died within 24 hours of being taken ill, of influenza followed by pneumonia.

On 1st July 1940, the first-ever daylight air-raid on the British mainland attacked Saltend oil terminal.  Between 16.40 and 17.00, bombs caused a 2,500-ton tank of oil to explode, and threatened to spread to other tanks. For preventing even greater damage, the following were all awarded the George Medal: Clifford Turner, leading fireman; William Sigsworth, Manager, Anglo-American Oil Co Ltd; George Samuel Sewell, engineer, Shell-Mex & BP Ltd; Jack Owen, fireman; George Archibald Howe, Manager, Shell-Mex & BP Ltd. No loss of life.

On 1st July 1976, Withernsea Lighthouse ceased operating, after 82 years, having been superseded by modern navigational aids. It is now open to the public as a museum to Kay Kendall, to local history and the lifeboat service.Withernsea