September 25th

On 25th September 1781, the Church authorities had Auburn Chapel taken down before it joined the rest of the village at the bottom of the cliff.

On 25th September 1882, Alfred Deakin, 11 and Frederick Gillett, 12, died as a result of an accident at a fireworks display in Hull Botanice Gardens. Several others were injured, 3 of them seriously. The inquest gave a finding of accidental death.

On 25th September 1917, Army gunners at Paull Point Battery prevented a Zeppelin attack on Hull, holding the craft in their searchlight until it was chased off by a fighter plane. The Battery was to the right of the houses on the photo – now known as Fort Paull.

On 25th September 1991, Officer cadet Kate Saunders, 22, became the first woman to eject from an aircraft when a bird strike caused her RAF Harrier to crash; she suffered a broken leg, broken pelvis, crushed vertebrae and 20% burns. The pilot, Sqn Ldr Ashley Stevenson, pulled her from the burning wreckage, and was awarded the Queens Commendation for Brave Conduct.

Paull

August 6th

On 6th August 1778, the question of who owned Spurn Point was resolved in favour of the William Constable of Burton Constable; the legal dispute began in 1609.

On 6th August 1785, John Beck of Lelley was hanged at York Castle for setting fire to a house and corn mill belonging to William Jackson of Danthorpe, with Robert Crosby and John Edwards, also of Lelley; Edwards and Crosby escaped.

On 6th August 1859, John Riley, 36, of Hull, was hanged at York Castle for the murder of his wife, Alice.

On 6th August 1888, former Trinity House School pupil George Smith, age 15, drowned after a collision between the Barque Cambrian and a French Barque during a great storm in Valparaiso harbour.

On the same day, a Bank Holiday Monday, a popular trip out from Hull Corporation Pier was to Paull by boat to watch the Army’s Submarine Miners in training and holding boat races and athletic competitions. Several boats left the Pier during the day.

York Castle

 

July 18th

On 18th July 1509, Lockington labourer Christopher Wylton claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for theft.

On 18th July 1511, Tailor Thomas Mateson, of Stamford Bridge, claimed sanctuary at Beverley for the homicide of John Pott, also of Stamford Bridge, labourer.

On 18th July 1642, the first Hull siege ended after 17 days; as the Royalists withdrew to Beverley, they destroyed the sluice at Hull Bank, causing flooding in Newland, and probably set fire to St Andrew’s Church at Paull.

On 18th July 1833, the work of the Humber Pilots involved more than directing ships into harbour; the day’s work included: relaying 14 buoys; taking carpenters to Bull Float and relaying Transport buoy (at the entrance of the River Hull).

On 18th July 1878, Anthony Bannister JP died at Hessle aged 61; twice Sheriff and twice Mayor of Hull, Vice commodore of the Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club. Promoted the Hull to Withernsea rail line; he is commemorated by a street in Withernsea, by a statue in Hull, and an effigy in Hessle.

On 18th July 1929, Boothferry Bridge opened to traffic across the River Ouse, replacing the ferry which had operated there since the 14thcentury.

On 18th July 1941, Ernest Dean Hodgson of Deepdale Grove, Hull, member of the Rescue Service, was commended for the rescue of Mrs Pounder and her 3 children from a damaged air raid shelter in rustenburg St. For their actions on the same night, John Joseph McHugh of Lilly Grove, and Arthur George Dixon were both awarded the British Empire Medal.  The same raid caused major damage to Reckitt’s Dansom Lane HQ, about 75% of the buildings being destroyed.

On 18th July 1969, Barry Francis, 22, decky learner, was lost overboard from Hull trawler Arctic Vandal off the North Cape.

June 29th

On 29th June 1643, Captain Hotham was arrested in Hull, but Sir John escaped and tried to cross the river to make his way to his fortified house at Scorborough. Not being able to cross at Stoneferry or Wawne, he rode to Beverley, where he found a troop of Parliamentary soldiers. He put himself at their head and ordered them to follow him.  Their commander, Matthew Boynton, countermanded the order and Hotham tried to escape through the streets, but was knocked off his horse and arrested. The Mayor, aldermen and other burgesses met to appoint a temporary Governor and committee, until Parliament could give directions.

On 29th June 1840, John Tasker was convicted of larceny at Beverley Sessions Court, and sentenced to 7 years’ transportation. At the same sessions, Joshua Needham was sentenced to 14 year’s transportation for receiving stolen goods.

On 29th June 1870, Frederick William Elwell was born in Beverley.  Painter and member of the Royal Academy, he painted portraits of King George V and TR Ferens, amongst others. His wife Mary was also an accomplished artist. (d 3.1.1958)

On 29th June 1939, the body of Thomas Smith, 27, spare hand, washed up at Paull, and was identified as one of the crew of the Lady Jeanette, which sank on 8.3.1939.

elwell