On 1st January 1151, Meaux Abbey was founded on land given by William le Gros, count of Aumale, Lord of Holderness.
On 1st January 1645, Captain John Hotham was executed for treason on Tower Hill, London.
On 1st January 1754, Joseph Pease opened Hull’s (and Yorkshire’s) first commercial bank at 18 High Street, Hull.
On 1st January 1841, Daniel Boyes started a new tradition at The Angel, Beverley, to bake an enormous game pie for customers; it weighed more than 7 stone. In 1844 the pie weighed 10 stone, and was 18” wide, 12” high, and 2’ 2” long.
On 1st January 1904, Dr Francis William Fullerton, GP of Prospect Street, obtained the first driving licence issued in Hull.
On 1st January 1908, the newly created Humber Conservancy Board took over responsibility for Humber lifeboats from Hull Trinity House, which had managed Spurn lifeboat for 97 years; the RNLI took over in 1911.