On 29th August 1524, John Rotherford, labourer, of Kirby upon Wold (K. Underdale or K. Grindalythe?) claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for murder and felony. A 2ndman entered the sanctuary that day – Nicholas Pryas, husbandman, of Reedness, claimed sanctuary for the death of a man called Wademan of Cross House.
On 29th August 1584, Sir Francis Walsingham, Queen Elizabeth’s Principal Secretary, was appointed Hull’s first High Steward, to act as mediator between the town and the Queen. Walsingham was Elizabeth’s ‘spymaster’. The post was much later given to Lord Mandelson.
On 29th August 1867, a Humber pilot was fined £32 to repair the damage he did to the Bull Lightship while handling a vessel in the river.