On 19th May 1401, Isabel Fauconberg, of Skelton (nee Bigod at Settrington) died, and had 13 paupers dressed in russet attend her funeral.
On 19th May 1942, John William Collins, warden and Charles Andrews, soldier, were recommended for gallantry awards for rescuing horses from the LNER stables. Holderness Road, Hull, during an air raid. The raid targeted Alexandra and Victoria docks. 4 people were killed.
On 17th May 1660, King Charles II’s accession to the throne was announced in Hull; from a gallows in the Marketplace the arms of the Commonwealth and effigies of Oliver Cromwell and Serjeant Bradshaw were hanged.
On 17th May 1881, after its first year of concerts, Hull Philharmonic Society recorded a loss of £15 12s8d.
On 17th May 1943, John Pulford, DFM, 23, was flight engineer on the ‘Dam Busters’ raid which destroyed the Mohne & Edersee dams, Germany. Died when his plane crashed in Sussex 12.2.1944. (b 24.12.1919 Sculcoates)
On 17th May 1954, Arthur Lucan died in his dressing room at the Tivoli Theatre, Paragon Street, Hull, during preparations for a new revue; Lucan was famous for playing Old Mother Riley in many films and shows.
On 16th May 1478, Robert Bilton, husbandman, from Hutton Cranswick, sought sanctuary in the Collegiate Church of St John (now the Minster) for the homicide of Thomas Mathyn at Cranswick.
On 16th May 1678, Christopher Richardson, Hull surgeon, apothecary and alderman, was refused permission to stand down as alderman, even after agreeing to pay a fine of £75. Aged 65, he continued to attend Corporation meetings until his death in 1702. Had previously been Sheriff of Hull (1665) and Mayor twice (1660 and 1678).
On 16th May 1917, former Reckitt’s employeed Private Thomas Samuel Taylor was killed in action, serving with 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers. No known grave.
On 16th May 1941, one of the worst nights of bombing saw 57 dead in East Hull, including 50 in the Ellis Terrace air raid shelter, which took a direct hit. 20 others were injured in Holderness Road, Hedon Road and Alexandra Dock.
On 16th May 1952, Hammond’s new Ferensway store opened to replace the building bombed during WW2. In the ’Celebration offers’, oak dining tables were on sale for £7 10s. photo shows the old building during the war.