June 2nd

On 2nd June 1537, William Wood, prior of Bridlington, Sir Thomas Percy of Leconfield, George Lumley of Thwing and Sir Francis Bigod of Settrington were found guilty of treason and hanged at London’s Tyburn for their parts in the Pilgrimage of Grace.

On 2nd June 1838, Snowden Dunhill, 72 years, died in prison in Port Arthur, Tasmania. He was convicted of receiving stolen goods,   having been sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia in 1823 for theft. He and his family had become notorious at home in Spaldington, near Howden, and after the publication of his life story in 1834 he became famous in England as a latter day Dick Turpin.

 

Pilgr Grace

May 31st

On 31st May 1902, Hornsea residents celebrated the end of the Boer War, with an impromptu service held at the Parish Church at 10p.m., followed by a procession around the town, with people singing and waving flags, while others let off fireworks. This may have included Hornsea Brass Band, which existed until WW1.

On 31st May 1905, Teddy Gudmensen, 33, deckhand, was lost overboard from Hull trawler Swan 93 miles NE of Spurn.

On 31st May 1916, Alfred Dean, stoker 1st class and former Reckitt’s employee, was drowned while serving on HMS Invincible in the Battle of Jutland.

photo shows the Services memorial, East Park, Hull.

Services memorial, E Pk

 

May 29th

On 29th May 1896, Rev Henry Frederick Barnes-Lawrence died aged 81 at Bridlington Quay. He had been Rector of Bridlington Priory church for 25 years, overseeing its restoration by Sir George Gilbert Scott. He had been a keen birder, and set up the Association for the Protection of Sea-birds, forerunner of the RSPB. His memorial is in the Priory Church.

On 29th May 1941, an air raid demolished 5 office boxes and damaged 9 others in St Andrew’s Dock, Hull. Damage to ARP unit, wagons, fish sidings and an air raid shelter.

On 29th May 1999, Fernand Laville, Free French veteran, presented Nafferton parish council with a regimental plaque to commemorate the billeting of Free French soldiers in the village during WW2. 16 veterans returned to Nafferton for a reunion.

Barnes-Lawrence

 

May 24th

Edward I

Edward I statue, Hull Guildhall

 

On 24th May 1300, King Edward I landed in Hessle  from the Barton ferry, his retinue taking up 11 vessels and taking 2 days to make the crossings. Galfrid de Selby was paid 13shillings for the crossing. The King went to Hull and then on to Beverley.

On 24th May 1772, Parliament passed an Act to create the Market Weighton Canal, not just to transport goods, but also to prevent regular flooding of 20,000 acres of land.

On 24th May 1930, Amy Johnson landed in Darwin after flying 11,000 miles; the first woman to fly from the UK to Australia; she received the CBE and great public acclaim.

On 24th May 1943, the crew of Lancaster bomber W4303 crashed at Humbleton on a training flight, killing the 8 crew, aged from 21 to 30. The Australian pilot Bryde and flight engineer Nelson are buried in Brandesburton.

On 24th May 1962, Tom Knight and Saif Messin, engineers, and Bryan Webb, deck boy, 15, were trapped and died when the tug Tollman capsized in Hull’s Alexandra Dock while towing the Finnish ship Inio. The skipper and mate were saved. United Towing made changes to towing systems as a result.

May 23rd

On 23rd May 1260, William de Forz III, count of Aumale and Lord of Holderness, died, aged about 45. He gave away his claim to the earldom of Chester in return for 2 small manors, including Driffield. Acted as ambassador for Henry III to Scotland and France, and was a member of the Council of Fifteen, advising the King on government matters. Gave land to Meaux Abbey on ‘the island called Ravenser Odd in the Humber’. His heir, Thomas, was 6 and he and the count’s lands were put into the King’s care.

On 23rd May 1510, Howden tiler Robert Colstayne claimed sanctuary at the church of St John, Beverley, for ‘the security of his body’; the register gives no detail of who was pursuing him, or why.

On 23rd May 1596, Howden churchwardens gave 6d to 2 poor men (presumably travelling through on their way to their home parish).

On 23rd May 1642, Hull Governor Sir John Hotham called a meeting of ‘knights and gentlemen’ to give a ‘learned speech’ explaining why he refused to allow King Charles into the town. This was part of the ‘paper war’ between the King and Parliament.

On 23rd May 1822, Hull merchant Joseph R. Pease attended a public meeting for the Relief of the Suffering Irish, due to famine in the West. He reported it thinly attended.

On 23rd May 1853, a Government enquiry into electoral corruption was opened at the Mansion House, Hull.  This followed a petition from the Conservative Party objecting to the election of James Clay and Viscount Goderich as MPs for Hull in the previous year. Hull was unrepresented in Parliament for almost 2 years; the Commission sat for 57 days and produced a report weighing over 11 tons and costing £5,000. (and see 16.8)

On 23rd May 1904, on Whit Monday, the Holderness Polo club held a polo match which attracted 6,000 spectators. This was held at the Polo Ground, Westbourne Avenue, Hull (modern Westbourne Ave West to Perth St West)The last matches were played in 1907.

On 23rd May 1907, the Mayoress of Hull opened a new military rifle range at Rolston, for use by Militia, Volunteers and Yeomanry. The land was leased from Rolston Hall.  below – Rolston Hall.

On 23rd May 1911, a fire began in the kitchen chimney of Sledmere House, which 24 hours later had destroyed the whole house. Fire engines from Driffield and Malton attended. There were no injuries.

 

 

Rolston Hall.jpg

 

May 22nd

On 22nd May 1455, Ralph Babthorpe of Osgodby died fighting on the Lancastrian side in the 1st Battle of St Albans, as did Henry Percy of Leconfield. Thomas Percy and Thomas de Roos also fought on the Lancastrian side. James Pickering of Ellerton fought on the Yorkist side. (It was Richard, 3rd Duke of York, who led the Yorkists at St Albans, and was the father of Richard III.)

On 22nd May 1649, Charles Bacon of Norrth Ferriby had his estates sequestered, probably as head of a recusant family; apothecary Christopher Bacon probably of the same family, was suspected of being a Royalist agent in 1644.

On 22nd May 1778, diarist James Boswell arrived in Hull from Barton, viewed the newly opened Dock, and left for the tourist resort of Beverley, where he stayed overnight at the Tiger Inn, and met his relatives, the Bosvilles of Thorpe Hall, Rudston.

boswell